igh velocity
5 (26.3%)
ubsonic
5 (26.3%)
yper velocity
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

buckshot roberts

this cartrridge comes in a very wide variety,price range and buller weights. i aways liked using the old "solid" .22 round to squirrel hunt, now the .22 is in hyper and or ultra.........and some even can put it up to the .17 , so what do you like to use....on small game like squirrel's and rabbit's. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

subsonic

Duh. Subsonic :nana: :biggthumpup:

I use the Hanned Line flat-nose tool on my hunting bullets. Ver-e-'fective!

You can't get the Hanned tool anymore, but Paco Kelly has a tool that may be better. The Acu'rzr!

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

And now his latest improvement:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm

Works great in .22 revolvers with big throats...

Daryl (deceased)

I use a little of everything, from CB shorts to high-velocity stuff.

I shoot a lot of standard velocity and sub-sonics, too.

For squirrels and such, the sub-sonics and shorts are good.  For cottontails, I like the standard velocity.  For larger jackrabbits and such, I'll usually switch to high velocity stuff.

For keeping varmints out of the garden, the CB shorts work pretty well.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

I was 'taken' with the Aguila Subsonic 60-grainer. It's actually a bit 'much' for the smaller critters. Unless bunnies are hit in the head, they have a tandency to 'wander' a bit before they die. But that 60-grian bullet hits very hard. I'd like to try it on coyotes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

I use the standard velocity........never been able to consistently sustain
tight groups with the higher velocity, in my Ruger.....however, I'm not
without going back to the drawing board on that issue......................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

babbyc1000

the best groups i ever achieved with my 10/22 at 100m was with remington yellow jackets, hyper velocity. ive used subbies in the past but only with a silencer, and then i only found them effective at 40m or so - shotgun range. hunting over open farm land as i do means ranges of 50-100m are very common, anything under that is normally snap shooting so i prefer longer range accuracy, plus i find that using hyper velocity makes up for the loss of power you get from using a semi auto instead of a bolt action :)
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

gitano

Quote from: subsonic;84706Duh. Subsonic :nana: :biggthumpup:

I use the Hanned Line flat-nose tool on my hunting bullets. Ver-e-'fective!

You can't get the Hanned tool anymore, but Paco Kelly has a tool that may be better. The Acu'rzr!

http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

And now his latest improvement:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco2.htm

Works great in .22 revolvers with big throats...

Interesting stuff.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

Paul,

My sincerest apology.  I meant to quote your post, hit the wrong button, and ended up posting in your post instead.

What I was going to say is that I have a brick or two of those SSS's in my supply, too.  I haven't tried them on coyotes, still prefering the .17 Remington, but I think they'd probably work pretty well on foxed and maybe a bobcat.

I'd sure be interested to hear about it if you try them on a coyote.  They're sort of unique, and they do seem to hit hard.

Again, sorry about the mistake.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

subsonic

Quote from: gitano;84744Interesting stuff.

Paul

Just what you needed, another project, right? :greentongue:

gitano

QuotePaul,

My sincerest apology. I meant to quote your post, hit the wrong button, and ended up posting in your post instead.

Hey buddy; no harm, no foul.

It sounds as though you've shot the SSSs, and I'm assuming they've shot OK from your .22's barrel. From what I've read, it's a real toss-up whether the 1:16 twist of a normal .22 RF will stabilize them. My 10/22 wouldn't, so I got the Volquartsen 1:10 (I think) bbl.

WRT coyotes, there are precious few circumstances in which I could imagine using a .22 RF over my .17 Rem for coyotes. One of them however, is if someone was calling them in and it was 'close cover'. Not that the .17 Rem wouldn't still be the better choice, it'd just be fun to take coyotes with a .22 RF.

The real issue for me is that the 60-grainer SSSs "hit so hard" that they really are "too much" for most anything smaller than coyotes. Foxes would be a 'good' target. However, when I think of foxes, I think of arctic foxes (Vulpes lagopus), instead of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes), even though there are plenty of red fox up here. The "problem" with arctic foxes and the SSS is that the arctic fox really isn't much bigger than a snowshoe hare or a jackrabbit, and the SSSs that I used on the snowshoes two years ago in CO simply went through and didn't 'anchor' them without a head shot. I'm thinking that something bigger like a coyote, or a 'coon, or a badger, or a whistle-pig (marmot), or something of at least 10 lbs live weight, is going to be required for the SSS to be appropriately effective.

Of course any .22 bullet is going to "work" if the only shot taken is a head shot. I just like the sound of the "whack" when those 60-grainers hit something substantial. :)

QuoteJust what you needed, another project, right? :greentongue:
Amen to that. But... Reading about those tools got me to thinking about modifying the SSSs so they might drop a little more energy in smaller targets instead of blasting right on through.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

Paul,

I haven't seen any reds around here, either, but some say there's a few in pockets up on the Mogollon Rim.

We have lots of greys, though.  They'll get up to about 10 lbs or so, but stey pretty small.  A .17 Rem will blow them up pretty badly, so I try to stick with a .22 LR or .22 mag.

Speaking of bobcats, I had one cross the highway in front of me today at about 1:30 PM.  It's in close to houses, so nearly impossible to call, but I might find a place where I can use some subsonics. ;)

I'll have to go back and look around a bit.

Oh, and my rifle does shoot the SSS bullets fairly well.  They're not as accurate as a few others, but not bad.  

Daryl

RIP Linden33

Brithunter

I tend to use Sub Sonic HP's by Winchester (Australia) especially with the sound Moderator. Although I have brought some CCI velocitor recently to use through the un moderated rifles. So far this Velocitor ammo has prooved accurate which is more than I can say for the others tried and if it's inaccurate it's no good to me.

Oh the Subs will work on Red Fox but shop placement is critcal. I wa snot ipressed with the results of a chest shot at about 35 yards with a HP Sub round on the For I shot with it. it required a second shot as it departed then following up and a finisher :( .
Go Get them Floyd!

kombi1976

My rifles really like Winchester Power Point 39gr HPs although recently I've been using PMC 40gr HP Zappers which have proved very effective.
There was a good deal on 2 bricks at the local gunshop and a friend and I threw in so we'd get a brick each.
My confidence in them was confirmed last Sunday when we shot 22 rimfire at 100m on a blustery afternoon and once I'd sussed out exactly how far they were dropping I managed to get 19 out of 20 onto a rabbit target at that distance.
It was very far from MOA but almost all of those shots would yielded one for the pot.
However between the range and hunting I'm almost out of Zappers.
Worst still PMC now no longer makes ammo so I won't be getting anymore of them.
Winchester ammo has also been harder to get so I may find myself using CCI.
I certainly WON'T be using Federal.
I bought a blue coloured value box of their bullets and they were lucky to put 5 within 3 inches on a regular basis.
Most of the time they shot 2 different groups - 2 fairly close together in one place and the other 3 fairly close together but often 1.5" away!
Nope, Winchester will probably be my next buy as it shoots just as well from my little Remington Model 6 "tilting block".
It doesn't shoot an inch at 50m but it'll put 10 in the size of an orange which is ok for a boys rifle with basic iron sights.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

tuck2

During the spring time when the prairie dog pups are first out  I use the Winchester 40 Gr HP PP rounds.  They are more accurate  than other HP rounds that I have tried in my Ruger 10-22 T and Anschultz 1710 rifles.  I limit shots out to about 70 Yds where the bullet still has about 100 ft/lb of energy.

LvrLover

I mostly use the cheap federal 36gr hp that come in a box of 550. They take out pigeons, squirrels, rabbits and such very nicely. I do like subsonics in my old single shot. Nothing beats that "pop-whack" noise for taking out stuff on the sly.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: