Picture of old MG

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), August 21, 2015, 10:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

For you fellas that like this sort of thing A picture of an MG...

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Nice! A very British-looking car to my eye.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Epitome of a sporty  car. Always liked them.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I should have said that it is doing what an MG is renowned for - not running.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

People are funny. Some folks like tinkering with things that others wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. Personally, I HATE messing around with cars. To me they're just "tools" for a specific purpose. On the other hand, I mess with firearms that MANY folks would just throw under a steam roller! To them, firearm are "just tools" for a specific purpose, not something one should have to "put up with".

When I was young, I had several friends that had various MGs. I swear to you that I traversed more miles PUSHING those !@#$%^&* things than I did riding in them! Nonetheless, I understand those that have a place in their hearts for them just as I do for "old guns".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jaeger88

That, is a pic of an MGA, I had the later MGB GT. Which actually wasn't that  bad reliability wise.  Rust, however, was a different kettle of fish !.
I also had a Lotus Elan +2 SE, that was MUCH more  quirky !.

I don't think any British made car ( & many European ) was truly reliable  until the Japs showed us the way, when we started importing stuff like  the Datsun Cherry etc.

Same with the British Motorbike when the first Honda's were imported, it was a case of adapt or die, & the British bike industry had its head in the sand, & kind of died. :o
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

JaDub

It`s not Twin Cam is it ??     VERY nice !

gitano

Excellent points jaeger88!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

jaeger88

Don't think the MGA was a Twin cam, certainly the MGB wasn't.

Though they did do the V8, that had the 3.5 ltr Rover V8/small block Chevy shoe horned in. THAT was a different animal !.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

3.5l Rover V8 was originally a Buick 215 small block - Linky
Small block Chevy was common for the 'hot rodders'.
Turvey Stalking

JaDub

MG did produce an MGA TwinCam. To my knowledge they were all hard tops. Interesting motors however the valve train had `issues`. They do bring a premium price to MG collectors. This red car is drop dead gorgeous!
  I especially like the Lucas Flame Thrower driving lights.

recoil junky

WOW!!! A 200 hp 215 cubic inch V8. Musta spun up real well!!! Reading about it now. Sounds like the cast iron block was "better" but maybe way too heavy for an MG.

I had a '71 CJ5 with a 225 Buick V6. Tons of torque!!! But it desperately need power steering.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

jaeger88

I stand corrected JaDub, MG certainly did make a Twin Cam for the MGA !.

Wonder why it never made it into the MGB ?. Probably a "cost" thing.

As the MGB's 1800 engine only produced 95 bhp, where as the Twin Cam produced 100 bhp. ( De-tuned down from 108 bhp due to detonation problems ).
I cant believe in fate.

JaDub

Well , MG did make the MGC which was an MGB with the Austin Healy 3000 six cylinder, but it was a bit nose heavy and not really an improvement. The improved torque was a nice thing but it completely upset the balance of the car. British Leyland dropped the car after a brief production run that failed to sell many of them. Triumph did come up with the TR8 , which was an interesting car but it too suffered weight distribution problems and underpowered brakes. Then Datsun came along and showed just how to engineer a light weight, powerful, user friendly sportscar with their 240-Z and then  Porsche with the 914. It`s not a wonder they pretty much dominated the affordable , fun sports car market in the `70s.

That said , the brits did an incredible job of producing fun, affordable cars to the post WWII emergent sports car market.

Brithunter

MG's problems in the 1970's was a political one at British Leyland ............................ basically they wanted to Kill MG off hence to switch to Triumph for the competiton departments cars. The MGB had a British Leyland engine rather than the MG one.

I don't understand the reliabilty issues that many claim. Normal servicing stops most issues. As you lot know I run some British cars one has a Honda engine as it's from the Rover honda tie up period the others have K series engines. These are modern to me I started off with a 58 Ford 100E Prefect with is 1156cc Side valve engine and 3 speed manual gearbox. Jap cars in the UK literally fell apart with rust. Datsuns were very bad for it as I recall.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: