5 (33.3%)
es
2 (13.3%)
epends on how its being treated.
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Brithunter

Hi sav17,

Why thank you, however it's easy to be knowledgable about something like this................. especially when you have a book about the BSA companies commercial History at your fingertips because of my admiration and liking of their guns I brought a limited print run book by John Knibbs who of course spent many years working at BSA. The book is called:-

"The Golden Century"

OK it was not cheap but the information it contains was worth it to me. Oh I am rather fond of the BSA Motorcycles as well, I have had a few in the past along with Triumph and Norton . Hmm the Airsporter has alays appealed to me although I never ended up with one, perhaps one day I will. I rather fancy a late one, the RB2 stutzen in fact as it would go nicely with the CF2 stutzen. I do have a late model BSA Meteor .177", I brought one new in 1978 for £28 or £32 I seem to recall, but stupidly sold it to a neighour some years later. I corrected that a couple of years ago when I spotted one in clean codition S/H in a local gunshop.

Now the Doe was an easy shot as she was only about 70 yards away and I was rested on a large Beech tree so it was very stable. It was too high to hit the heart but it took out the lungs, in fact I poured on out, liquified mush. She took about two steps and that was it! Here is the CF2 half stocked 7x57:-

I tried to haul her into the air so I could clean her easier, but she was too havy without a pulley It's a Nice Whitetail Doe. Oh Neck shot in thick sapling brush by a Creek.
Go Get them Floyd!

sav17

Hi brithunter,my brother has the airsporter at the moment a farmer friend of his has been having a spot of trouble with rats,when i get it back i will post a photo she,s looking a little tired at the moment but she still does the job.To go off the subject a bit heres a photo,rather old i am afraid, of my uncle with his original gold star he is in his late 70,s and still rides he has just completed renovating a vincent comet 500 which he rides almost every weekend,he also has a series 1 landrover which he uses to take it to showsAs i told you my brother has a 250 starfire and a triumph bonneville,they give me stick because i ride japanese,i don,t know if you are interested but i posted a photo of mine in the need for speed forum.sorry to have gone on off like that but i thought you might have been interested:o
To get back to the real stuff where do you you do your deer stalking ,you seem to be very successful maybe you could give me a few tips.Being relatively new to full bore shooting i am presently restricted to my .223 rem, fox is the largest thing i can shoot on the farms i have covered,I would be very interested in your personal opinion on what is the best calibre for red deer,i know everyone has their own ideas but i feel you can never have to much good advice from people who know what they are doing. Waffling on a bit now :o sorry
look after yourself RICHIE
P.S I have a Mauser mod 105 semi auto 22lr that i bought really cheap i have refinished the stock because it was really tatty i wonder if you could shed some light on it i cant find any info on the model at all.It shoots quite well I use it for rabbiting now with the iron sights,the scope fitted to it was worth more than I what i paid for the whole lot and thats nothing special:D
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Brithunter

Hi sav17,

My recomendation for Deer period can be broken down to 3 choices, all work period and all 3 are very versatile indeed:-

1)  6.5x55 Swedish

2)  7x57 Mauser

3)  .308 Winchester

You may notice that I have all 3! In the 6.5x55 I use 120-140Grn bullets, 7x57mm I am using 139Grn bullets but I do have some 175Grn one to try out. he RWS 173 H-Mantle is simply awesome on Deer, I shot a nice 4 point Roe Buck with this and it's the quickest I have ever seen a Deer go down:eek:  the .308 well it just does the job with no fuss, 150-165 grn bullets here but the 130 Grn I am told works really well.

All three are available in a wide variety of sporting ammunition and diferent makes of rifles now, with 100-120 Grn bullets the 6.5 Swedish makes an excellent long range Fox round, accuracy is normally superb. As for stalking well I have to pay for mine ususally  by the day or outing, there are a lot of places which offer this some are really expensive some are not I have to work in the lower end due to my lower income:confused:

I stalk with a couple of people really now, I started out through a schgeme which arranged a "Nominated piece of Land as required by Mr plod" which had a yearly fee payable and a minimum Numbr of outing per year. Most of the estates used by this outfit have charges for Bucks shot and the carcase can be brought form them which I always did after all that's what I want the meat! So I mainly shot Does. My firts Roe Buck was a freebie as it was a Switch or Murder Buck, only 3 points and they wanted it out of the Gene Pool, we stumbled onto it I I put it down with the .308 and a 165 grn bullet at about 75 yards, the mounted skull in hanging in my hallway.

Oh I get plenty of blank outings believe me, I thought if I was successful on 1 out of 4 I was doing well, at first is was much lower than this believe me. I have been wandering about and shooting on the place I shot that Roe Doe for at least 4 years and not shot any Deer, saw them but it was always the wrong season of the wrond beast so I just watched them and let them walk on. Then I get two in a fortnight! a young Fallow Buck who had lost his Mum and the Roe Doe. Shot plenty of Squirrels and Rabbits plus the odd Fox there. Oh here is the 4 point:-

The mark on his left fore leg is the exit wound.

On September 20th 1979 I picked up a brand new Triumph Bonnevile T140E and I had it just over 3 years until some bugger nicked it:mad:  my first real Motorcycle was a Norton Jubilee 250cc the last one was a custom street fighter based upon a 1983 Honda 750FB that had been stolen and burt out, low ridgid frame and Yamaha XS cast alloy wheels. I don't ride now as the arthritus in both knees get pain full when they get cold.
Go Get them Floyd!

sav17

Hi brithunter,thanks for the advice on calibre,the .308 keeps cropping up so I think i will look for one.I know for a Parker Hale based around a mauser action going for a reasonable price so I might have a look at that..Below is that mauser mod 105 I was telling you about:) On top was the condition it was in when I bought it below is how she looks now:D

Rohann

I agree with you Jay, as far as hunting goes, you don't need much more than a 3x scope. Heck, you can hunt fine with accurate iron sights.
Brithunter- I know your feelings on medium-high power scopes. If i was buying a scope solely for hunting then I would probably buy a 6x, though I am using this scope for many different things. Do you think you could PM me for further discussion? Thanks

-Rohann

Brithunter

Hi sav17,

Well you made a very nice job of that Mauser. I will have to get the book out I have on Sporting Mausers and see if it mentions the 105, I know they brought out a book on just the .22R/F rifles from Mauser but I have not got that one. Now as I said in the message here is the P-H 1200:-

Scope is Leupold Vari X 111 2.5-8.

The .308 I saw is the same model, I will ahve to mosey on by and see if he still has it and check the price, I personaly prefer the BSA Rifles although the P-H has a superior trigger than the late BSA's, the P-H one is a Timmney I think you will find. It certainly looks like one anyway.
Go Get them Floyd!

sav17

Glad you liked my baby,I am rather proud of it peter in the gun shop that sold it to me was impressed as well,Ihave taken the scope off now and use it with the iron sights for rough rabbit shooting :D Its great.  Bought some of this low power target ammo about 30ft lbs I am told,dont use it any more though not powerful enough to send the action right back so the case either gets caught in the bolt on ejection! OR IT GOES FULL AUTO:eek: !!!!!!!! It tends to have a laxative effect on me and even more so on the rabbit,so I leave them at home now
Cheers......Richie

Tags: