Previous topic - Next topic

Being called a "fool" for personal choice of firearms is common at THL

his never happens
7 (26.9%)
his happens rarely
10 (38.5%)
his happens occassionally, but less than 50% the time
5 (19.2%)
his happens as often as not (50% of the time)
2 (7.7%)
his happens more often than not (more than 50% of the time)
1 (3.8%)
his happens \"all\" of the time
0 (0%)
o Paul, you\'re the only jerk that does this. :)
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

gitano

A fellow that's been a memeber of THL for some time recently posted the following comment:

QuoteIf there is one thing that this forum has taught me is to not talk about your rifle caliber. No matter what one you pick someone else on this forum will always try to make you think that it's either too much or too little, then try to make you seem like a fool for choosing such a caliber.
I was very surprised by those comments. It is my opinion that THL is one of the very few places on the web where those statements are particularly NOT the norm. However, I've been wrong before, so I thought I'd ask fo rfolk's opinion on the accuracy of the above quoted perspective. If many folks here agree, maybe it's a matter for discussion by the "Admininstration".

Please vote "truthfully" - as far as I know, there's no way to know who cast what vote.

Paul[/color][/size][/font]
Be nicer than necessary.

rockinbbar

I've seen diferent calibers "trashed" periodically on lots of websites, but generally, the trashing is done by a person with limited shooting, hunting, and outdoor experience.

Here at THL, I know the moderators & admins carefully try & guide towards the usefulness of any given caliber, but, people being different, have many ideas about what caliber works best in any given situation....

Thank God we live in a free country, where we are free to pursuit the caliber we want to use. The Govt. tries to tell us what calibers are legal in certain instances....but, since when have they left our freedom alone?

I think all persons that reply to others here ought to be more careful of what guns, calibers, scopes, and other equipment gets berated in their posts.
What is one mans trash is another's treasure....With the exception of the .17 HMR.....(Just kidding there :D)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

RatherBHuntin

I have never felt like a fool for believing that the .308 is the perfect caliber, but perhaps only because I only just proclaimed that.  Now, if I was to say that the .223 is the perfect chambering for hunting Texas whitetail, I have not a doubt in my mind that someone would come along and say that not only am I unethical, but that it was illegal and that I was not a real hunter.  I also know that my true opinion about whoever made such a remark would not be uttered on this forum as it would be on others perhaps.  Additionally I don't have a doubt that such comments (mine and the other) would incur chastisement from the mods.  Some folks are just a little narrow minded, and that will never change.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

While we may disagree with a certain cartrige choice I don't think that thoes of us here call someone a fool. There are some cartriges that we may like or dislike for one reason or another but that doesn't make them a bad round. It just means that we don't like them. We may try to advance the merits of one round over another but that's a normal debate. Just my not so humble oppinion.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Waaalll, boys... I agree, I think, with what you're saying. But it sounds like you agree with the quote - at least a little.:confused:

I, for one, happen to be a rather staunch defender of "live and let live" when it comes to choices of firearms and their useage. By the same token, I'm unabashed when it come to justifying my choices. However, just because my "case" is presented with conviction, doesn't mean 1) that I'm "right", or 2) that I think someone else's choices are "wrong". There is a great deal of difference between "we disagree and here's why" and "you're a fool".

I notice neither of you voted. Were you just being "gentleman"?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

I didn't vote because I couldn't find, "Rarely, Pauls a jerk and only does it less than 50% of the time"    I did vote this time, Rarely being the choice.  

Nope, I had just visited this post once and the poll wasn't there, next time I went right to the bottom.  Seriously, it has been a long time since things got nasty over cartridge choice....since the .223 as a deer round was last discussed probably.  And the good old .243 may also have been the cause of some poor hunter being labeled "unethical" once upon a time.  

Like as has been said, the vast majority of the time discussion is limited to the pros and cons of the cartridge, and not the hunter.  Healthy discussion is the norm and I couldn't imagine this would need any Administrator action.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

;) Yep, I  was called a fool , 3 years ago because I was using a winchester model 1911 shotgun, hey they would say that shotgun has killed more people who used it, than game, Well as with any firearm, you don't use them right they well hurt you, I have never used all the rifles or cartriges that have been made, So. When was the last time anyone used the 25/35, 32 win special, 38/55, 351, 35 winchester, or 30 rem.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

I could see where someone could feel like they were being called a fool or ridiculed when we get heated about our preferences for anything in particular. Also I notice that feeling comes from speed reading and missing the point of a post or a simple complete misunderstanding of what was written, much more than anyone being ridiculed on purpose.

I myself have tread on toes when not planning too.

:cool: Its hard to be humble when your perfect but I do the best that I can.:D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Quote Its hard to be humble when your perfect but I do the best that I can.

I hear you brother. ;) :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

There is no conceit in Alboy's family....................He has it all. :D It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

M1Garand

I'd say I've rarely seen it.  Now I've seen different discussions on calibers and don't recall anyone ridiculing anyone over their choice, but have seen some discussions that were pretty civil.  I'd say most around here wouldn't ever call anyone a fool for their choice of caliber unless they said they were going after brown bear with a 22LR.  And that would be natural selection at its finest.

buckshot roberts

;) going after brown bear with a 22LR. He would just be techologically impaired, up till he be comes bear chow,:D .
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sav17

well folks,

i gotta be honest i,ve known you for almost a year now and even when I sometimes ask darn fooled questions , no one has ever called me a fool
just been helpful.
Cant call someone foolish for liking a certain calibre even if you feel its not suitable for a certain role ,what doesnt work in some situations might work perfectly well in others,(i did read on one uk web site,a guy bragging about shooting numerous deer with a 17hmr but i dont think the word fool is quite strong enough for him:mad: )
merry christmas ......................................richie
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

knuckledragger

I've seen tempers flare, and some strong opinions, but it always seems to remain civil to a reasonable degree.  To be honest, no responses here should be a real surprise, a quick review of a topic before posting will usually show where folks stand becuase many of the topics have either been plowed under before or at least there has probably been a similar post.  The regulars here are consistent.  Besides, my going-in rule in an open forum is you dont know who is going to repond or how and if your skin is too thin, you should probably remain a lurker on the fringes.

I come to this forum over others because it is so civil.  In fact there are a few other sites I have seen starting to crack down.  It really makes it more informative and more fun.

Have a great Christmas guys.  KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

Alboy

GOOD TO HEAR OUT OF YOU JARHEAD.

Keep your head down and come home safe ya hear.

Got another close to my heart Marine over there now too. Capt. Haynie, C. some where in the upper third of the country. If you stumble accross him give him the address to this place and a hard time, he needs both.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: