6.8mm SPC as a hunting caliber?

Started by teddy12b, August 20, 2006, 08:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi Kombi,

Well perhaps they send the accurate ones down-under :p . I can only tell of my experiences with the ones that have crossed my path :) . Oh and the Vanguard is nowt more than a Howa but with a higher price tag :( . And not all Howa's are accurate. you must have read about the guy having fits with his Howa 6.5 on greybeards ? Hmm or was it on this forum? :o  Hmmm when it's one of these Howa/Vanguards I don't take as much notice ................ Sorry.

But if you like em ........................... well it's you money so spend it where you will ;)

Oh talking about wood and stock. I am currently waiting to hear wht Clarks have in stock new and used wise for P-H Mauser action rifles and of course prices. depending upon costs of course but there might be something suitable for that Mauser of yours ;) I am interested in a spare stock for my 1200 Super. The 7.92mm as the wood on that is very light and after all it won't eat anyhting and they won't be about for ever.
Go Get them Floyd!

Mauserfan in TX

My father had a Howa in .270 that was extremely accurate. With 130 gn ammo it would cosistintley shoot 1 hole 3-4 shot groups @ 100 yds.  The 150 gn stuff was usually under an inch. He finally traded it off though. He has been regretting that ever since. I would have to agree with Kombi though, I think for all intents and purposes the .270WSM probably rules the roost. I still would'nt mind having a weatherby  to trade off though.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

gitano

The one-and-only Howa I ever had any dealings with was a 7mm Mag for which a friend of mine asked me to work up some loads. It made me look very good. It is the single most accurate right-out-of-the-box rifle I've ever put my hands on.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Noyb72

Mauser fan.

They load your friends round in South Africa as the 270 Sabi. It is quite a bit warmer than the 6.8SPC and is quite a favorite down there.

As far as the SPC for deer, I don't see what all the hubub is about? A 270 is a 270. If you want a heavier bullet, ensure your mag can handle the length and the throat is long enough to handle the bullet. I am certain that a 270 has killed lots of critters at 300-400 yards where the bullet is actually traveling at the speed the same bullet would be traveling at 150+/- yards when fired from the SPC, know the range your round delivers the power you require for the game your after and make an acurate shot within that range and the squirrel/deer/elk/hog/bear/gazelle/roo/etc. won't give a hill of beans what piece of brass the piece of lead that just killed them came out of. Nor will it care what action/barrel length/ stock material/etc. the firearm that held the brass that held the lead ( ok mister Barnes, or copper,) is. A bullet at speed is a bullet at speed, and if it hits something fast enough to kill that thing it willo kill it.

Ron

Mauserfan in TX

Thanx for the info Novb72, I did'nt know that round was actually a known load somewhere. Come to think of it, that man has been hunting in Africa a couple of times. That might be where he got the idea.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

teddy12b

Well, I went and did it.  Bushmaster 6.8mm SPC.  Ordered the lower, got all the components and just waiting to order the upper.  It'll be used at the range about all of the time, but I'll have the comfort of knowing I could actually use this rifle for something other than varmints if I wanted.  I'll post a range report when it's available.  For now, I have 100 rounds of sierra 110gr SP ProHunter rounds to load for the range.  Eventually I'll try some of the Barnes 110gr tsx if I ever got serious about using it to hunt with.

Thanks for all the advice!

Mauserfan in TX

Hello Teddy12b , Be sure to let us know how that works out. I too am intrested in getting an upper in 6.8 for my AR-15.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

teddy12b

Hey Mauserfan in TX,
            I ordered my 6.8 upper a week ago and e-mail bushmaster about my expected delivery.  They said it's on a 3-7 week backorder.  It's going to be a while before I post a range report.

Mauserfan in TX

Thanx Teddy, I am a patient kind of guy. But then again , I am not the one waiting on an order LOL. Hope you have a lot of fun when you get it.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

periscope_depth

What are some bolt action rifles that are manufactured to use the 6.8 SPC?  I know of only one...that being the 550 CZ.  There are many of the assault rifles being rechambered for the 6.8 SPC but I don't consider them to be serious hunting rifles.  Could you all give me a heads up on the new bolt action rifles for this new cartridge and of these, which one you would recommend?  The 6.8 SPC is an interesting round.  Very mild, very effecient and out to 200 yards...as good or better than a 30-30 Win.  Might be the next most perfect Missouri deer round.

teddy12b

I agree that most of the rifles coming out in 6.8mm SPC are in the AR-type rifles.  I understand that they don't look like any kind of a traditional hunting rifle, but if they limit the magazine size to 5rounds then I don't see any differences between it and a Rem 7400, BAR, Benelli, or Winchester semi auto.  They look mean and nasty, and by all rights they are, but if that's what a guys comfortable enough to make a well placed shot with then oh well.  That's a whole other topic all together though.  

Remington has the new 6.8mm SPC in their 700 SPS series.  I've done some reading about it on the internet and a guy took a mule deer with the caliber and just loved it.  Here's a link to Remingtons rifle in 6.8mm SPC.  I think it'll be a good caliber for hunting, almost seems to the right amount of power without going overboard.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_specs.asp

kombi1976

It is arguably better than a 30-30, periscope_depth.
Ballistic capabilities and pressure capabilities are higher.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Mauserfan in TX

I don't know, Hey Kombi how about a single shot in 6.8 SPC. Could be the next great thing for Cane Toad whackin'?
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

teddy12b

The Thompson Center Encore has this caliber.  I have read on other forums that guys really like their single shot 6.8.  I think it'd be a fun round to try out.

teddy12b

The Bushmaster upper came in today.  Delivered a day short of 3 weeks from date of purchase.  Hopefully my lovely wife will let me go to the range this weekend.  I may have to beg.

Tags: