Reloading: getting started

Started by davidlt89, February 01, 2010, 05:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daryl (deceased)

There's one piece of "equipment" that your list is missing, David.

The Reloading Manual.

At least one should be required reading for every beginning handloader.

As a note:

This is all good information, and "creating" stuff that either doesn't exist, or can't be found, yet still needs to be "said" is part of this, but lets not overlook the assets that THL contains.  When one or a few people "create" the information, rather than "finding it", we lose the benefit of the vast collective knowledge of THL.

In my opinion, we should probably be searching for info first, then moving it here, editing it to "separate the wheat from the chaff" (posts that just say "good information" or some such aren't needed for reference purposes), and THEN filling in any blanks.

As I said, it's all good information, but be careful to not overlook the collective knowledge that THL contains.

I was up early this morning, as usual, and spent some time moving some of Jay's "cartridge series" threads here, and eventually decided we needed a sub-forum just for those.  A search brought up at least 6 pages of them, and they'll need some editing and condensing as well.

I've moved a couple of pages so far, with at least 4 to go, and unfortunately, moving them here is the easy part!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

sakorick

I would vote on the Sierra reloading manual for a number of reasons. Sierra lists all the powder makers and seems unbiased in that regard. Every year Midway has closeout prices on "old" edition manuals. Sierra does a great job of keeping up with the new cartridges. Finally, once you own the 3 ring binder, updates are easy to insert. I own at least one of all the others but routinely cross reference with the Sierra manual. Epay usually has the 5th edition on auction that typically cost about 15 dollars plus shipping. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

QuoteAs I said, it's all good information, but be careful to not overlook the collective knowledge that THL contains.
Daryl, please don't overlook my intentions. I know our priority is to gather the info already on THL. I "looked" and there really is not anything to "piece" together on getting started on reloading. Plus I figured tips on getting started was pretty straight forward. not much "expertise" needed there. There is however loads of info on THL with experience on "how" to do certain things and I will be pulling that! It is pretty much the same thing with archery. there are a 196 archery threads, there really is not one or a anything in any of them that explains what a "compound" bow is. there are many recommendations for certain brands, but I did not see anything describing the difference between single cam versus double cam, what let off is, Carbon arrows versus aluminum, etc... jay has a post on making arrows and a couple things on how you can make your own long bow. We may have to retrieve that info somewhere and edit it with the "expertise" on THL. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

David - Where did the images go for this thread?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I don't know! will get them back soon! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: