Laser Bore Sighting

Started by 30pointbuck, March 23, 2006, 06:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

30pointbuck

I am looking at purchasing a Laser Bore Sighter to pre-sight my 35 Rem Lever
with a Lymans Aperture, also my 50 Cal muzzleloader with Tru-Glo sights. I have seen some that come with O-rings for the bore and others with tapered adapters that slide into the bore. My goal is to just get on the paper without the use of too much ammo.
Does anyone have any feedback on the various bore sighters that are available?
Any thought positive or negative would be helpful.

I would consider spending up to $85 or so.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Reckon I'm just too old to change 30ptbk... I use the old Sweany SITE-A-LINE with all the various caliber spuds including the special .22 LR one.

I can get really close for windage but there is none that works well for elevation.  I mean it will get you on the paper for elevation if the cartridge doesn't have too much drop but, mechanical or laser, there is no way for the bore sighter to know if it is a .30-30 or a .300 Mag.  

Of course, maybe now they have some really expensive hi-tech instrument that comes with some sort of tables but I just can't get interested in spending a lot of cash for something like a bore sighter.  Heck, many years ago we just pulled the bolt and looked down the bore while adjusting the scope... at least for bolt actions.  for the others we took our first couple shots at 25 yards, moved to 50 yards and finally to 100 yards.

When I work up a load for a customer or for myself, I use the bore sighter to get me real close at 50 yards and then go to the 100 yard butts.  

rockinbbar

It seems that I have better luck using an 11X17" target at 25 yards after I mount a scope. I can usually find the first shot on that, then dail it in close enough to progress to 100 yards and be on the paper & then start fine tuning the zero...

Very rarely am I off the paper at 25 yards, but when I am, I move a little closer & shoot & adjust...;)

In my opinion the lazer sighters are OK, but the cost of a couple of shots at 25 yards to get you to 100 is cheaper than the lazer...

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

30pointbuck

Thanks Guys,

Me real concern is windage and not elevation. I think I will take a couple
boxes to the range this weekend and see what I can do at 25 yards and go
from there.

Thanks for your input.

buckshot roberts

30 pountbuck, I have one that my wife got me two years ago, it came from no others place than ol wal-mart, I'd say it was lees than 50 buck's I only used it on my savage model 99, did very good with it, I've let other hunter use it more than I have, I dont see any name on the box ?, it the type that you set up the 18 and then 25 feet away, When I used it, it had to be in very low light so I could see the laser dot, before you put money in one try bore sighting you rifle, (See pic) I done better doing this with my 06, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: