Missouri Whitetail Hunt - 2021

Started by gitano, November 08, 2021, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

How about some not dead deer.

And the moon as Caitlin took the above pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

If the photographs are any indication,...
It MUST HAVE been a great trip!

Thanks for sharing Paul.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Hunterbug

That's a great deer! So when is your 6.5 Creedmoor arriving? :MOGRIN:
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Quote from: Hunterbug;156154So when is your 6.5 Creedmoor arriving? :MOGRIN:

What does impress me is the Bergara. I would seriously consider one in .308 Win. However, they ain't exactly in The Common Man's budget.

Jaimie.270 - It was, as usual, a GREAT trip!

Also, a couple of additional tidbits:

A quarter-inch-drive ratchet and socket are strictly verboten - by TSA - in carry-on baggage. However, a small mallet, also purchased at a 'junk store' in Purdin is just fine. I assume they thought I was going to threaten to disassemble the plane while in flight.

On a more positive note... I checked with Alaska Airlines regarding the maximum dimensions of checked baggage. This in the context of getting Caitlin's and my shoulder mounts from Missouri to Alaska. We measured my mount's dimensions, and came up with the size of a crate that would contain it. The 70"x38"x24" max for checked baggage is much larger than the 42"x22"x24" crate that my mount would require. :D

Paul

PS - I was planning my trip to Missouri in January, and thought I would check the above baggage specs. What I was told ain't QUITE the whole story. You CAN have a piece that is NO MORE than 115" when all three dimensions are added together. However, no single dimension can exceed the 70"x38"x24". In other words, if one dimension is 70" say, the other two dimensions CANNOT be 38 and 24, because the three dimensions would add up to 132", which is greater than the115" maximum. Nevertheless, the dimensions I need for my mount (42x24x22 = 88"), are both less than the 115" total max, but also not larger than 70", or 38", or 24". Unfortunately, any bag whose three summed dimensions are over SIXTY-TWO inches, incurrs a $100 fee. $100 is, however, WAY less than I would pay to have it shipped via UPS or FedEx!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Nelsdou

A very nice buck for Caitlin and wonderful experience! It's great when a trip works out this well.
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

Thanks, Nels. We were very fortunate.

I have cleaned up the jaw and cut off the 'excess'. These will be inletted into the back of the shoulder mount once I get my hands on it in April. This is a relatively common practice among Germans. It provides a record of the animal's age that can be kept with the mount "forever". I will, (also in the tradition of the Germans), write Caitlin's name, the cartridge, and the date of the kill, on the back of the mount.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Oh yeah... I forgot that Rick had pictures of this buck on his trail cams. I think it is cool when you can get pictures of a buck you took when it was 'walking around'. I was able to get similar trail-cam pictures of the big buck I took two years ago. Here are pics of Caitlin's buck.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: