Hunting Pheasants with a bow

Started by sakorick, February 02, 2015, 07:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

We were training dogs at the local bird farm about 6 years ago and John brought his bow. I told John to lead about 10 feet.  Look carefully and you can see the arrow is about 5 feet behind the Pheasant. He only had this one shot. Close but no cigar. He was using his longbow that has a speed of around 200 '/sec. A shotgun is around 1200'/sec so he should have figured the shotgun lead and used a factor of X6. I would guess that bird is about 25 yards so my lead would have been around 2 body lengths or 2 feet. This should have been a 12 foot or so lead with the longbow. Nice try John. Picture taken with a Minolta 200SRT with a 200MM lens, then the print was taken with my Nikon digital.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I have always considered wing-shooting with a bow to be the ultimate archery hunting challenge. I've never been in a place to attempt it. Give John my enthusiastic encouragement!

Oh yeah, did you find the arrow?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Oh yes, we found the arrow.....those big white fletchings were easy to find. It was exciting I can tell you that and I clicked the shutter at a perfect time. John could not believe he was that far behind the bird until the picture was developed. I found this lost picture while looking for something else!!!! I believe with some practice at the skeet range, John could do this......as you can see it was a dead bird with the proper lead. This is another THL first I believe as I have never seen anything like it elsewhere.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Wow never even heard of anyone trying this anywhere close is impressive.

gitano

farmboy - Look up Fred Bear on YouTube. You will see a master at shooting pheasants with a bow. If it could be shot with a bow, Fred Bear did it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

One of the ranges that we go to for tournaments actually has disc throwers for shooting arrows at. It's just like sheet shooting with your bow.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

:grin:thanks for sharing, i like watching old Fred Bear video's......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Quote from: buckshot roberts;137407:grin:thanks for sharing, i like watching old Fred Bear video's......Ron
Me too. I'm guessing here, but I'd guess he and P.O. Ackley were cut from the same bolt of cloth.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

you maybe right Paul, i have been looking for some of the old Ed McGivern video's , can not find any...............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: