Who's going dove hunting?

Started by TackyDriver, June 25, 2009, 11:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TackyDriver

The opening of dove season, September 1, is always a big day in California. The last few years I've been going to a place near Coolidge, AZ and have had some great shooting. After opening day, there's still some great shooting to be had down near the Salton Sea in SoCal. It's not as hectic as opening day +1 to +3, but it's still fun.  Anyone else going? If so, where?
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

Daryl (deceased)

Hi Tackydriver,

I'll probably get out this year, just because I haven't in a few years.

I hunted some of that Coolidge area as a kid (lived in Casa Grande), but haven't hunted it in many years.  I'm further east and south of I-10 now, and I know some good areas here where I don't have to compete with the population of Phoenix for a place to hunt.

It's a good time of year to get out and shoot a bit, no doubt.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

TackyDriver

Hi Daryl. Do you see much in the way of white wing dove? They're all over the place when I go to Mazatlan, Mexico. I always tell them under my breath that they don't know how lucky they are, loafing by and me without a fowling piece:Banghead:. Of course I have people tell me that the safest dove are the ones passing in front of me when I DO have a fowling piece. I've started seeing them near the Salton Sea north of Nyland, but not much near Coolidge. I hear they're tasty. Got a good recipe for dove breast kebabs that I'll put in the recipe section next week.

Vermonster

I will be down near the Salton sea....... :yes:

TackyDriver

Vermonster, will you be going Opening Day? What about later in the season? I'll be scouting around down there in the next 2 months since the cottontail hunting is good down there, at least until 8-9am. If your going to be stuck in California, at least your in San Diego.

Daryl (deceased)

TackyDriver,

There are a few whitewings here now, but they'll move south by the time the season opens.  It's a rare occasion to see one here in September.

There's some new type of dove here I've not seen before.  They're larger than a mourning dove; more like the size of a whitewing.  I see them often around Cochise County, and in fact I've been seeing more of them than any other type of dove.  Not sure where they came from, but they seem tp multiply pretty quickly.

Wouldn't mind shooting a few just to see what they are, and how they taste.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

TackyDriver

Hi Daryl,

Do they have a speckled neck or a half ring around the back of the neck? Do they have a fan shaped tail versus the mourning doves pintail? When they take off, are their wing beats quiet as opposed to that rapid fire whistling sound mourning doves make? If so, they may be Eurasion Collared Doves, or an Asian dove species that I have to look up. The Eurasion was brought over to the Bahamas, flew across to Florida and have made their way across the Southern U. S. They do well in suburban habitat whereas mourning dove like to stay away from the more populated areas. The speckled doves around here have subdued spots on the neck and also do well in suburban areas. Check the current AZ hunting regs because I seem to remember from last year that limits were being relaxed on this species, whichever it is, because it is considered non-native and their populations are growing.

Vermonster

Quote from: TackyDriver;94295Vermonster, will you be going Opening Day? What about later in the season? I'll be scouting around down there in the next 2 months since the cottontail hunting is good down there, at least until 8-9am. If your going to be stuck in California, at least your in San Diego.

Yeah, my father comes out every year for a little hunting/fighing/golfing week.  We hit the dove opener in the Valley, then tuna fishing one day, and golfing another.  It's a pretty good time.   Never really hunted the later season, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.  Alot of guys hit that week in December as a "Flies it dies" weekend.  Dove, pheasant, quail, and ducks are all open together.

I just got permission to hunt an area there that is private land, near Calipatria.  In years past, we've had to fight the masses for the DFG fields, but this year will be a nice change....... ;)

TackyDriver

Hi Vermonster,

It must be nice to go from the desert to the sea and then to the greens. A couple of months back, my sister was able to combine birding with golf. She was able to score the first birdie in her golf career. She was golfing in El Segundo and seriously hooked a mid fairway shot toward a water hazard. She beaned a mud-hen and killed it. She was all upset about it when she told me. Being the supportive brother that I am I asked her if she ate it or let it go to waste. It was strange that she wasn't very amused.:confused:

I hear what your saying about the DFG fields. That's one of the nice things about going in the latter part of the first half of the season or during the second half. I need to look into the December part of the season. I never thought about going for pheasant or quail down there. Usually I'm looking up toward Frasier Park for quail and Fresno for pheasant.

TackyDriver

In response to the thread title: Maybe not me:o.

We got word from our city's building department that if we can't  be ready to pour foundations by 9 September, we will have to reapply for our building permit and then will have to lose some "grandfathered" variances to the municipal building code:Banghead::Banghead:. It may not be a good time to run to AZ for 3 days for the season opener. Daryl, I was hoping to meet you half way between where I was going and where you live to have a cup of Joe. It could still happen later so take care of yourself.

On the the bright side, our construction loan may fall through and then it won't matter. I know, we couldn't have picked a better time to rebuild our house. Right now I don't know whether to go to the bathroom or lose my eyesight. On the other, other bright side, I'm taking this as a test of my commitment to Christian virtues and the better part of human nature. After hearing about some of the bad times some of the members of this forum have had: a) I'd be a pansy to complain too much and b) I hope to handle things with the strength and style you all have displayed. We'll keep hacking away and try not to hurt anybody in the process. Vermonster, that late season dove gig is looking more and more attractive. Do you have a tighter choke?

Tags: