Dove shooting

Started by Hunterbug, September 09, 2015, 06:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Last evening Payton and I went dove hunting with a guy that I went to high school with. He dropped 5 and I got 3. I won't mention how many were armor plated and impervious to our shotguns. ;) I only took one picture but I like it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

I went dove hunting just this morning!! Had a mess in the driveway eating seeds scattered by the chipmunks. Quite fun with the Stevens Favourite "44 Shot". I didn't hit any though . . . . . . . . . . . . . . yet!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

recoil junky

Hmm . . . Payton was "sideways" there for a minute.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

I just edited for orientation and size. If HB like the original, I still have a copy saved.

Wish we had doves here. I learned to wing-shoot on mourning doves (Zenaida macroura) using a bolt action, Mossberg .410.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Thanx for fixing it, Paul. We got 7 mourning doves and 1 Eurasian Collard dove. They are bigger than mourning doves and are an invasive species so they don't count against your limit.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

farmboy

The first doves I have seen around here showed up about five years ago two thirds the size of a pigeon light grey color and can almost give a rooster a run for the money in the early morning noise department. Lol not sure what ki d they are for sure.

gitano

I'd bet they are the Eurasian collared doves (Streptopelia decaocto). They are "invading" North America with a vengeance, and are bigger than mourning doves (Zenaida macroura).

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Just looked them up I will take a better look next time I am in town there are lots of them there.

Hunterbug

They probably are. They like the urban environment. We did kill one while we were hunting. We got them cooked, they were good.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

There's nothing "wrong" with them other than being an "invasive" species. I don't THINK they compete for nesting sites with mourning doves. I "like" mourning doves because I grew up with them. I even had some as pets. But "more meat" is a good thing, and I can think of no reason why they shouldn't taste just as good as mourning doves.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Those darned collared ( Eurasians )  are Very aggressive.  They try to drive off everything in our back yard.  Nothing like the mourning doves.   But they DO eat good !!

farmboy

Looked at them today they do have the collar Good call!

gitano

"Bigger" MATTERS in ALL life except human life. Actually, it matters there too!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

:laugh:  You need some "Woodies"  that is Wood Pigeons which are bigger than the Collered Dove and very tasty. They also reproduce all year round and gather in large flocks to feed. Here is some information on them:-

http://basc.org.uk/cop/woodpigeon/

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/a-z-garden-birds/wood-pigeon

and some photos of course.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

We have "wood" pigeons (common name) here in North America (Patagioenas fasciata) but the "official" name is band-tailed pigeon. They are found in the mountain west. Large birds and excellent eating, as are all of the pigeons.

Norht America HAD one of the most beautiful pigeons - the passenger pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius), in numbers difficult to even imagine The commercial hunters of the late 1800s drove them to extinction in less than 20 years for NEW YORK, PARIS, and LONDON markets. It is estimated by reliable sources that there were more than THREE BILLION of them alive before the market hunting started. (Some estimate FIVE BILLION.) I breaks my heart to think of the greed that removed them from existence.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Those are the one s we have around here. From the hunters perspective the good thing about them is when you shot a dozen of them two dozen come to the funeral and then stay. The same thing applys to the farmer but that is the bad thing about them. I had them with a bit of help shot out of the farmyard none left this spring we clean out two other close by yards as well . Likely I have thirty back again. So I guess half of what the spring total was. I will have to get back at them. A couple of years ago some guys came and caught over a hundred of them for a live pigeon shoot. Almost was rid of them that time too not sure where they arrive from tried to eliminate the source they s spring I guess get rid of them at the three yards and expand the range a few more yards and see if we can be rid of them for a few years.

Tags: