Pretty Nice Fish!

Started by apeters24, June 14, 2015, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeters24

Went fishing yesterday afternoon before church.  I had only made about 6 cast before reeling this guy in.

A little over 18 inch and nothing short of 3lb.  This trout was quite fun to get it!  I thought I was actually "hung up" on something at first!

sakorick

What a beauty! I bet he will look real good next to some hush puppies and slaw!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Great fish!

What were you using for terminal gear? In other words: What were you using for "bait"?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

Just a regular old worm, Paul!

My fishing partner was using a few different Panther Martin's --  No dice for him!  Shortly after pulling this guy in he added a worm.  Still, no luck.  

It must be my new AND flashy pink rod!  :)

gitano

It's REALLY tough to beat worms for fish. Plain and simple.

Again, nice fish!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

apeters24

drinksgin (deceased)

Yes, a nice fish.
I am not that up on identifying northern fish, is it a rainbow trout?
Here are some largemouth bass my wife and I caught here several years ago. Of course, she caught the largest.
We were using shiners for bait.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

JaDub

Nice going, Ashlee!! I can smell it frying in the pan. Nothing ..... nothing will beat a good ole juicy worm.

It almost looks like a big ole honking brookie.

davidlt89

guys, it is a brookie! at least what our state classifies as a brook trout which i believe are really "char".
Ashlee got quite a trophy!!! I have been fishing 40 years and have caught several 16-17" brook trout in the 2 1/2lb range, never something like this. My grandfather caught a 24" 5lb'er ice fishing when I was a junior in high school.

This is also one fat brookie, I would not be surprised if it was 3 1/2lbs. I have "versed" her on what one needs to do when catching a big fish. Up here we don't just measure, we weigh everything. Nobody talks about shooting a 10pt but does talk about shooting a 245lb'er dressed out. Ashlee got a good picture though, and we all know a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

Ashlee needs to give herself credit for bringing it in also, not an easy feat. She instinctively played with her drag and did what many fisherman did not do, play the fish!! these big guys do not just real in, they need to tire!!!

worms are definitely good for brook trout, but Don hit the nail on the head, Shiners can get you some big trout up here. Also, if you have the "right fly", your looking at some big fish!!! This time of year, flies are more likely to get the big boys. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

apeters24

Don.  Good looking bass.  Props to your wife!

I have a friend that works about 5 hours south of me during the week.  Has a cabin on lake Cobbesee where there's some pretty great bass fishing.  I'll be heading down there within the next couple weeks to give it a try.  Really looking forward to it!

This time I'll be sure to come back with all of the "required" information.  ;-)

JaDub.  Honestly, I'm not much of a fish person.  But I knew keeping this fish I was going to definitely give it a try.  My friend put it in foil with olive oil, lemon, and some seasoning and cooked it on my grill.  It was...  Quite good to my surprise!!

Tags: