Crimps

Started by gitano, July 29, 2017, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBPMSMNOeE

Interesting to me. You can skip to about 21:00 to see the target comparisons.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

AS you said to skip ahead to 22:00 did he mention how far was he shooting? I guess on an AR platform yeah, I'd crimp any round. I'm like Matthew Quigley is with Colt pistols when it comes to AR's though. I can shoot 'em, just don't have any use for 'em.

The only rifles I crimp are the 45-70 and my 35 Whelen. The 35 Whelen because a 60.5 grain charge of H4350 tends to push the 250 grain Hornady Spire point bullet back out if it's not crimped.

While I see his point on crimping, I must agree to disagree. There are other ways to attain peak accuracy from cartridges. A bolt gun is where I'd start :clown:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

The targets were shot at 100 yd.

What you miss by 'cutting to the chase scene' is that he is working on subsonic loads. Meaning charges that take up a small portion of the available case capacity, which in turn means inconsistent ignition and burning.

As for shooting the AR platform: I've never been a fan of semi-autos of any sort - handgun or rifle. However, not only do they "have their place", the AR is a wildcatter's (me) dream. It is an extraordinarily versatile platform for 'fiddling'. Neither am I particularly interested in the .300 Blackout cartridge. I am however interested in subsonic and suppressed cartridges. Being one that often swims against the current, I am interested in the .223 necked up to 8mm. The .300 blackout is the .223 case cut off at the shoulder and necked DOWN to .308. So close enough to be worth looking at in the context of subsonic suppressed on an AR platform. Nonetheless, I think the results presented are noteworthy for anyone interested in "squib" loads in any cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Yeah, I know your "infatuation" with the AR. :rolleyes: as well as you know mine :Banghead:

:antlers:  :toff:

I can't help but have CCR's "Run Through The Jungle" course through my brain whenever I see an AR video.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-ima-batch1&hsimp=yhs-batch1&hspart=ima&p=run+through+the+jungle+song#id=2&vid=5c74b86b0393d3f2d319c39fc28ae21f&action=click

As we listen to this true classic rock anthem, I find that in the videographer's use of 220 grain bullets in a 300BLK is akin to shooting matchsticks from a Daisy? Don't tell me you never did THAT!!

What I didn't know and you enlightened me on was how the 300BLK is/was made. I see now that the .223 case would be too long if a .308 projectile were merely inserted in a necked up .223 (I refuse to use the term 5.56) case

I find your fascination with slow 'n quiet almost as intriguing as my own with fast and accurate. Fast and accurate is the best way for bad knees at this juncture as sneaky is NOT in my best interest.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: