Savage Mark ii

Started by farmboy, July 24, 2016, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

I am trying out a savage Mark ii in 22 or I thought I should perhaps own a 22 or with a scope mounted to it. This is a BRJ model. So a Boyd's laminate stock with a blued fluted heavy barrel. On my way home soon to mount the scope. Hopefully it will group one of the kinds of ammo fairly well. Would a inch at fifty be too much to expect with hunting ammo?

sakorick

Quote from: farmboy;145600I am trying out a savage Mark ii in 22 or I thought I should perhaps own a 22 or with a scope mounted to it. This is a BRJ model. So a Boyd's laminate stock with a blued fluted heavy barrel. On my way home soon to mount the scope. Hopefully it will group one of the kinds of ammo fairly well. Would a inch at fifty be too much to expect with hunting ammo?

Define "hunting ammo". I thought all ammo is hunting ammo.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

High or hyper velocity hollow point non sub sonic target week loads.

Paul Hoskins

farmboy, I never had much luck with accuracy using the hyper velocity 22 RF ammo of any make. A couple friends years ago bought new high end 22 rifles & bricks of hyper velocity ammo of different brands & couldn't get any of it to shoot like  high velocity or standard velocity ammo. I wound up with several bricks of the stuff. They gave up on the accuracy part & gave all of it to me. I find it shoots "reasonably" well in some bolt type rifles but the Ruger 10/22 doesn't like it at all. .....Paul H

farmboy

farmboy

gitano

Nice! And good picture too. What was the range?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Twenty five yards. The flyer is not real good. I will try a few other brands and loads

gitano

Was it the first shot?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Third. Perhaps I pulled it but I don't think so. Cleaned the barrel shot one fouling shot then the group so that is bullets two to six down a new barrel .

gitano

Well, from a small amount of personal experience, and having read a lot other people's comments, it appears that the headspace (thickness of the rim) is critical in .22 RF ammo. Secundo, the quality control on "regular" .22 RF ammo is sufficiently lax (so the price is lower), that a 'bad' one gets in more frequently than in "match" ammo. Makes sense to me. There are headspace gauges 'out there'. Most of the ones I've seen are called "rim gauges". They are WAY too spendy for my tastes and uses of RFs. Maybe that was it.

I've always had pretty good luck with 555 ammo. But my standards aren't as high for .22 RF ammo as they are with other folks I know.

Paul

PS - Here's one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/382448/hornady-rim-thickness-gage-17-22-caliber that's not TOO bad. Although I don't personally do business with MidwayUSA any more.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;145606farmboy, I never had much luck with accuracy using the hyper velocity 22 RF ammo of any make. A couple friends years ago bought new high end 22 rifles & bricks of hyper velocity ammo of different brands & couldn't get any of it to shoot like  high velocity or standard velocity ammo. I wound up with several bricks of the stuff. They gave up on the accuracy part & gave all of it to me. I find it shoots "reasonably" well in some bolt type rifles but the Ruger 10/22 doesn't like it at all. .....Paul H

Ditto. I like the standard velocity round nose .22's in everything I own. The hyper stuff is hype.

farmboy

I have only had yellow jackets group in one gun or should I day pattern in one gun. That was in a Marlin model 39a.

22hornet

There is nothing wrong with the groups you are getting.
 The only hyper velocity ammunition that has shot really well for me is CCI Stinger and then it only shot well in my Lithgow 101, under 1". I've used Winchester Power Points in both the 42gn and 40gn loads, again they shoot very well.
 I'm currently using CCI Mini Mags 36gn HP. Mostly because they were available at the time. I'll probably give them a go in the field but nothing has come close to the performance of the Pwoer Points on animals.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

.22's are for Squirrels, Rabbits, Badgers etc. You don't need hyper ammo. Besides what is another 200'/sec if you can't hit anything?

Tags: