Parker Hale unveiled

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2005, 06:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Banger

You are better than Google! I will see what I can find over here and let you know what I find. What catalogue did you see it in? I would like to get one myself.
Thanks Brithunter,
Mat

Brithunter

The catalogue I refer to is the Parker-Hale  Gun Catalogue No 73/4 which is from 1973 as the price list enclosed with it is dated June 1973. I brought it at the show and the gentleman had several others although not the same as this one and I didn't look at them. The reason I brought it was that Model 1100 delux with the beavertail fore end that i have is now positively identified. before this various dealers and even some people who worked at P-H had told it was a :-

Lightweight delux
Safari
Model 1000 :rolleyes:

I quickly scanned through it at his stall then brought it as it had the information I was looking for even though I thought the price a little steep :o at nearly $13US. Later on I may look into getting another for a different period :p . I also asked him about any period BSA catalogues but ti seems that they are not so common :( .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

I am going to try to find some of those old catalogues,
Thanks again,
Mat

Big Banger

Hi Guys,
I just found this Parker Hale 308 Norma Mag. I would like to know what model it is and if the engraving is original or custom? Notice that the fore end of the stock is rounded unlike the 1200 model. Any idea when it was made? 5 digit serial number beginning with 57.
Thanks,
Mat

Quote from: BrithunterThe catalogue I refer to is the Parker-Hale Gun Catalogue No 73/4 which is from 1973 as the price list enclosed with it is dated June 1973. I brought it at the show and the gentleman had several others although not the same as this one and I didn't look at them. The reason I brought it was that Model 1100 delux with the beavertail fore end that i have is now positively identified. before this various dealers and even some people who worked at P-H had told it was a :-

Lightweight delux
Safari
Model 1000 :rolleyes:

I quickly scanned through it at his stall then brought it as it had the information I was looking for even though I thought the price a little steep :o at nearly $13US. Later on I may look into getting another for a different period :p . I also asked him about any period BSA catalogues but ti seems that they are not so common :( .

gitano

I fine rifle in an excellent chambering.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi There,

The cast embossed floor plate and trigger guard is std on both the 1100 Deluxe and the 1200 Super although my 1200V has a smooth floor plate. Looking through the 73 catalogue the .308 Norma is not listed which onlt means that they didn't offer that chambering in 73. I will try asking about the rounded tip fore end is not un common I was looking a a P-H chambered in .270 with this stock but I am unsure whaich model it is.

Looks like I need more catalogues for identification :rolleyes:  they made a model called the Safari but I have never actually seen anything which identifies this model. Now as for date well to be sure we need that View mark which hopefully we can decipher and date it ;) this gives an accurate date of manufacture as the rifles were proofed in the white for example BSA wrote me a ltter telling me my BSA CF2 Stutzen was accepted for sale in 1984 but the view mark is 1983. So there was a time lapse getting the rifle finish polished and blacked then stocked up before final inspection and acceptance for sale and then shipping. The letter which I do not have to hand just now also stipulates a month :) .

Parker-Hale also did special runs to order I have a 1200 Super from one of these which was made for export in 1988. The rifle I ahve not found listed in any leaflets of catalogues is chambered in 7.92mm that is the marjking on the barrel but of course most of us know it as 8x57 or 8mm Mauser.

You have a nice rifle there my friend :D .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

I was told the rifle only had one box of ammo shot through it and it has never had a scope mounted on it. Do you think $600 Canadian dollars is a fair price?
Mat

gitano

Quote from: Big BangerI was told the rifle only had one box of ammo shot through it and it has never had a scope mounted on it. Do you think $600 Canadian dollars is a fair price?
Mat

Yup.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Big Banger

Thank you

Quote from: gitanoYup.

Paul

Big Banger

Thanks again Brithunter! I new you would find out some info on that rifle. The seller said it is Magnum Safari.
Mat

Brithunter

Well as I said I do not have any information for that period really, 1985 we are alking about here, I will try a locate some more P-H catalogues to help with my knowledge as and when I can ;) . The Safari models are the most confusing to me and I am not sure I have ever seen one really in the flesh, I might have done but without positive identification from a brochure or catalogue :rolleyes: , well you get the idea :p .

I was told my 1100 Deluxe was about 3 different models by poeple who claimed to know :rolleyes: :eek:  so after that I want company photographic proof :p .
Go Get them Floyd!

Big Banger

Yes nothing really confirms as well as a good picture and description from the manufacturers brochure. I will post any more info that I find.
Thanks for your help,
Mat

cowboy

Just found this board and this thread while doing a search for "Parker Hale"

Hello to all,

I know this thread is a little old but thought you might not mind me putting in my 2 cents about PH rifles. I'm no expert on them and I don't think anyone really is. My father bought a 7mm Mag mod. 1200 in the late 60's and that is when I became interested in them.

Here are a few facts about them that I have gathered over the years.

PH did start building them on surplus mauser actions in the early days with their own stocks and barrels. These will still have the thumb slot for stripper clips and I believe that they started out calling these Super Safari models.

The most common ones you see now are like the ones I have with a Santa Barbara action and again their own stocks and barrels.

Stocks seem to vary acording to the market they were sent to. Most all the american models have the roll over cheek piece. From what I have heard most of the stocks were Italian walnut and quite light. I have seen some from the factory that were stained darker. you'll know right away if you strip them to refinish.

I still buy them in rebuildable/restorable condition as a hobby and I can tell you this.

Most if not all of them require rebedding for a couple of reasons. On most of the ones I find the wood in the stock has dried out to the point that the stock has shrunk. You can easily tell by looking at the plastic white line spacers. They don't shrink as much as the wood and now will stand out proud of the wood. If they are at this point you need to rebed. You can also check for clearance at the end of the tang to see if you can still slip a piece of paper between the end of the tang and the wood. if there is no clearance and you fire it you will possibly split the wood in this area. The original red recoil pads are dried out too and are quite stiff if not solid. The original bedding was usually a small bit of epoxy in the recoil lug area and by now is usually dried out and cracked/brittle.

All of the ones I have worked on have some fore end pressure and after rebedding I put it back.

I don't know what or who they used to determine the length of pull but the stock is way too long for most. I usually cut 3/8" off before I install a new pad.

Rebed them and they are tack drivers for sure. Parker Hale barrels are great.

Quality over the years did vary and some are better then others as far as fit and finish, but they all shoot very well regardless.

I have other rifles, but I hunt with the PHs

Brithunter

Hi There,

Well you are right on some of it ;)  P-H produced quite a few models over the years and used actions from several sources including some German new WW2 actions seized as war repartions. Which the governement dumped in store at Golden Hillock road and it seems promtly forgot abouth them until P-H having a clear out rediscovered them and ask the ministry what they wanted done with htem. he government had no interst so P-H built rifles on them

The 1200 Super, 1200V and 1200 Super Clip all had the Monte Carlo roll over stock with Skip Line chequering and they were available wiht either an Oiled finish or high gloss. The High Gloss it seems was more popular in the US. The 1100 also came in two stock styles the Deluxe with the fluted beavertail and the other of more convetional style with a schnabel tip. The stocks it seems came from SILE in Italy. I have fpound seveal with the SILE mark inpressed  under the recoil pad of in the barrel channel.

As for bedding problems :rolleyes: I have come across one and that ths the late production NIB 1200 Super in 7.92mm whihc I had rebedded. None of the others have required any. How ever after playing wiht more ammo with the 1200V in the grouping does not tighten up to where I think it should (this is the only one with a free floating barrel :rolleyes: ) the bedding may fall under close scutiny ;) .

If the bedding at the recoil lug is correct then spliting at the tang is virtually impossible unles the stock bends a lot ;) . Which is why P-H put an extra recoil lug on the barel of the 1100M African Magnum. Only the 120TX and 1200V came free floated from the factory.

The so called Safari models are proving the most elusive :o  despite the name beign bandied about I have yet to see it in print ina  P-H catalogue of leaflet. This is why I am trying to collet as many different years of them as I can as relying on the so called experts and even ex-employees has proved very unreliable :( :o .

Oh the Santa barbrara action normally have SPAIN on the side of the tang, although it can be very faint as it's applied before final polish for blacking. The  1200 does not have the thumb cut as far as I can tell the 1100 can have. My 1100M has it but my 1100 deluxe does not. I will be on the look out for a good model 1000 lightweight and a 1100 std if there is such a thing. then we get into the Midlands made by P-H and the earlier models like the Hussar and the Safaris, Super Safari and Safari magnums if they indeed exist as official models. The Hussar does as I have seen photos of one ;) . The Hussar is built on a Brno action.
Go Get them Floyd!

cowboy

Brithunter,

Nice of you to reply. It's getting harder to find any information on PHs these days. They aren't really getting much interest here, though it seems that there are some who are becoming aware of these rifles lately. Frankly I was surprised to find this thread as not many show interest as I said. I have been working on mostly 1200 magnum models with the recoil cross bolt and I have been buying them from various places across the US. I live in the desert Southwest and perhaps that may account for the dried out stocks I am finding. I did buy one from "back east" N. Carolina last year that still had some shrinkage. The recoil cross bolt is a bit of a chore to rebed properly.

You're right about the recoil lug preventing the tang area from spliting if it is bedded right.
But wooden stocks do flex especially with the larger calibers, which is the reason for the cross bolt being there. The spliting I'm talking about is not total failure but more like little chips coming off at the tang from lack of clearance, mostly cosmetic. I have a 1200 presentation model in 300 Win Mag I'm working on that did exactly this but I was able to glue the small chip back in place and sand it out.

I was wondering if perhaps you might know of any place that has parts for PHs?
They are getting harder to find over here. Things like Magazine boxes, etc.

All the best,

Cowboy

Tags: