UV Lights,

Started by jaeger88, September 01, 2016, 02:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaeger88

We lost a beast the other evening, that left a decent spoor, but as it  was evening and we were loosing the light, & though we had  flashlights, we lost the trail.

Found the beast fairly easily the next morning, & lucky for us the likes of Brock etc, hadn't found it first.

So  was wondering if a UV light would have been any use, do they work ?,  will they pick out blood spots on the ground among other organic matter  ?, or are they only any use for detecting pet Urine on carpets &  nasty stains on hotel room beds ?. :anxious:

I  know the likes of the rich & famous, ( Mr bl0ggs ), will probably  say "get an IR devise", or "get a dog", but the bank manager says I cant  have one, & the wife says I cant have the other. :cens: ( No, divorce is not an option ).
A UV LED flashlight from Amazooon, is setting me back the princely sum of £7.99.

A bargain if it works, but no great financial loss if it doesn't.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

gitano

I got to use a UV light for blood tracking in the "Hunter ED" course I took. It works. If it's not raining. There are IR 'devices' other than the type "Mr bl0ggs" :) has, and I think they are in the same price range as UV lights. I'll have a look and post links to the things I'm thinking about. Glad to hear you ultimately got the critter AND that the 'beasts' hadn't found it before you. Here, and I exaggerate not, ravens and magpies are on a carcass in MINUTES. It's uncanny how quickly they appear when there were "none about" moments before!

Pictures! :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: jaeger88;146012We lost a beast the other evening, that left a decent spoor, but as it  was evening and we were loosing the light, & though we had  flashlights, we lost the trail.

Found the beast fairly easily the next morning, & lucky for us the likes of Brock etc, hadn't found it first.

So  was wondering if a UV light would have been any use, do they work ?,  will they pick out blood spots on the ground among other organic matter  ?, or are they only any use for detecting pet Urine on carpets &  nasty stains on hotel room beds ?. :anxious:

I  know the likes of the rich & famous, ( Mr bl0ggs ), will probably  say "get an IR devise", or "get a dog", but the bank manager says I cant  have one, & the wife says I cant have the other. :cens: ( No, divorce is not an option ).
A UV LED flashlight from Amazooon, is setting me back the princely sum of £7.99.

A bargain if it works, but no great financial loss if it doesn't.

Never said owt about IR, no use in this instance. Did offer you the use of doggo....
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

jaeger88

My post JB says :=

" I  know the likes of the rich & famous, ( Mr bl0ggs ), will probably  say "get an IR devise", or "get a dog".

I wasn't implying that you could follow a blood trail with an IR devise, or use one the next day when the carcass is cold.  I meant that if we had one at the time we could probably have followed Bambi's departure by his IR signature.  

Well, the UV torch turned up yesterday, & I foolishly used it in the kitchen last night. Wish Id worn a NBC suit. Things you think are spotlessly clean..........aint !.

About the cheapest Thermal Imaging monocular Ive found over here is £1,499.00.

Weather its any use at all I have no idea. The fact they run from that price up to £20,000+, would suggest its performance would leave something to be desired.
I cant believe in fate.
If the futures all worked out, horoscopes & all that, it means none of us are responsible for anything we do, it means we are just actors in a script written by someone else. I dont believe that.

Paul Hoskins

I think most of the better guides in Maine use "blood lights" for tracking wounded animals in darkness or low light. They seem to work fairly well BUT certainly no substitute for a good tracking dog. A tracking dog can be any breed but if not properly trained it's worse than useless. Without a blood trail, the light is equally useless. .....Paul H

Tags: