Nice mix today!

Started by davidlt89, November 08, 2015, 03:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Headed out after worship band today to see if anything was on the trap line. Landed a good beaver at my buddies. I then came home and went outback. I had set some footholds under a bridge where rats where coming in and digging. Had one in the footholds and one in the colony coming in.

I headed down the train tracks and checked the beaver set and had a XXL otter by the front paw in a 330. All in all, good day!

Here is the quarry.

Here is the otter on the board.

God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

How long does it take you to skin and get those hides preped?

davidlt89

Depends on the animal and the size farmboy. From skinning, to fleshing, to boarding, I was almost 2 hours with otter. Could of been a little faster but I took my time. The rats take me about 25 min for the same process. The beaver in the picture is fairly large...he is what they call a blanket beaver (will stretch over 65"), he would take some time...at least 2 hours or more. Beaver are the most labor intensive. I am taking the castors out of this guy and he is going in the freezer and will be coyote bait. God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

Yesterday s catch by the time you checked reset the traps etc you had an eight hour day.  If you have a great day and catch more than you can skin etc can you do it the next day or does it matter at all? Any ideas how to catch raccoons? I had a cat that was walking around with one front leg chewed off. Thinking it was a raccoon. The neighbor has them and has lost all his cats. I can't use anything that would hurt my other cat's.I have a skunk trap will they fit in that? Anything I can bait them with that I will not attract cats? Where would be as good place to set the trap

davidlt89

You most certainly can wait! I let all my fur dry for a day, unless it is an otter. They need to be done wet to avoid singe on the guard hairs. I have been skinning my rats, rolling them up and freezing them in bags of 5. when I am done trapping I will thaw them and flesh and board them. I also only have dozen wire hangers, I would not have been able to keep up. Will do 10 at a time and let them dry, then thaw more.

QuoteAny ideas how to catch raccoons?
I have more than just ideas! Raccoons are one of the easiest things to catch. live traps work even without bait. I use "coon cuffs", AKA, dog proof traps. I set them with fish oil to get their attention and put something below the trigger so they reach in and pull up.

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/Traps/Dog+Proof+Coon+Traps/

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Coon+Grabber+Baits/Coon+Grabbers

Tags: