Dress Up Stocks - Screwbean Mesquite

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), April 17, 2006, 07:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I like the look (color & grain) of this wood but it is much too expensive for my pocketbook.  Kinda reminds me of the old 'wingtips' shoes.

gitano

Mesquite is wood I happen to like for a variety of purposes, and gunstocks is one of them. Personally, I am not bothered by the "imperfections" often found in mesquite blanks as long as they do not affect the structural integrity of the finished stock.

Mequite trees belong to the genus Prosopis, and as is often the case, epsecially in plants, there are myriad common names associated with a single species. The two most common species used for woodworking of all sorts are P. glandulosa (often called honey mequite) and P. pubescens (often called screwbean mesquite). There is also P. velutina (called "native mequite", velvet mequite, Arizona mequite), P. pallida (called among other things - algaroba, mesquite, kiawe, algarrobo, algarrobo americano, huarango,) and five more distinct species.

I have found it tough wood to work, but gorgeous when finished. It's just a little too dense (heavy) to be my first choice for a gunstock, but it would certainly be in the upper 3 to 5 choices.

Here's a picture of a Richard's Microfit mesquite stock I put on my wife's Ruger M77 7x57.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Gmoney

I love mesquite for a variety of reasons but yes, it will dull a chainsaw blase like no other.....

1.) those are BEAUTIFUL stocks Jay
 2.) Very important wildlife species

and most importantly...

3.) B-B-QUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Tags: