hales
0 (0%)
ushnell
8 (15.7%)
ther (please list)
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Rohann

Which brand of scope would you recommend? I know Leupold would probably come out as #1 but I need an affordable, rugged, dependable scope. Thoughts?

Nallapambu

What are you going to use it for and where?

Oregonhunter

Seems to me that there are a lot of Leupold models that will fit the bill as you described above.  I would go Leupold and never look back.

My 2 cents.

OH

Brithunter

Hi All,

Well in the Poll I had to vote other as I do rather seem to have collected a fair few Pecar Berlin Scopes, other than that I do like the Schmidt & Bender and the Khales. The Czech Meoptas are rather good as well.
Go Get them Floyd!

rockinbbar

Rohann,
The Leupold rifleman series is a great value. They are everything you described above...;)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

sav17

I use Zeiss and Bushnell,I find the single magnification Zeiss an excellent choice.Been offered a weaver looks good ,well made,anybody got any info?
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

Marlin917VS

Leupold all the way, but you can't beat Swift Premier scopes doller for doller.  Swifts premiers are as clear as the vxII's i've looked through, and they are a lot cheaper.  They also have a full lifetime warrenty, not only to the original owner.  If you have the money, go with leupold, if not, I would go with swift premier.  Also, the reason I'm saying premier is their normal scopes aren't nearly as good as their premier line which is great.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Charlie

Rohann,

Looks like you're right about Leupold.  That's what I have on all my hi-powered rifles.  Leupold scopes are rugged, contain very good optics, and are reasonably priced.  I have had good Weaver scopes in the past, and recently put an old V900 on my son-in-law's .270.
It, too, is a good scope.

I would stay away from anything cheaper if you are going to mount on a magnum rifle.  I have had very bad luck with Bushnell and Tasco optics; the optics are just not clear enough for me.  Once had a lenses fall out of a Bushnell 3x12 on my 7mm Rem Mag while trying to sight on a deer.

Charlie

Rohann

Hi all, thanks for your input. It seems that Leupold is coming out on top, though I still find their scopes to be rather pricy.

I will be using this scope for hunting, target shooting, and possibly for some longer-range shooting. Once again, I need a very rugged, dependable scope that I will be able to afford.
The scope will be mounted upon a Savage .308. I am trying to set up a rifle that has the accuracy of a LE rifle, but the dependability and ruggedness of a Military rifle. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Any recommendations on what i can change/add to my rifle that will accomplish this?

-Rohann

Lost Hunta

How's bout a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex? i think i'll get one for my H&R .308.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Daniel in Ak

What? Nobody has mentioned Nikon at all.Rohann,you might want to consider what your mainly going to hunt and in what type of terrain in order to decide what magnification will assist you for the better.
I move around alot and have to go with what I mentioned,and in doing so just before my move up here to Alaska I upgraded to a larger calibre rifle than I have ever used or shot because of what type of animals I was going to hunt,and in doing this I then had to decide on a scope.

Factors where large animals bears,moose and caribou.Then I had to see what type of country I'd mainly be in which turned out to be open tundra for long distance shooting if no cover was available.After a year of looking and seriously looking at Leupold or Zeiss,but the hunting is hard on equipment up here,more so than people know.So with that in mind thinking did I want to spend a few bucks and beat to death my equipment with who knows how many seasons I get out of it.

Then I came across the Nikon scopes at a local store and compared the glass to the other brands in the case's and was extremely impressed with the clarity and the relief it gave my eye,and ended up buying the 6.5x20 for my .338WM and as a second reason for the magnification choice was in the off season of the big game hunts I can swap the scope over to my 22-250 for varmints and or small game.

I did not see Nikon on your poll or in any of the reply's but try checking them out as another choice.Good Luck on your search.

Tool Dude

I've used Weaver, Redfield, Tasco and Leupold.  I've done a good bit of gazing through scopes in sporting goods stores as well.  My research, although not scientific lead me to Leupold and I have stuck with them since.  I like their optics and overall ease of use the best.  Besides that, they have a very good warranty and stand behind their stuff.  I know they are pricy, but I think they're worth it.
:)  Brian

Lost Hunta

I can't stand behind Burris or anybody yet cause all i got is old scopes. I had a Simmon's 3-9x4- but i pft,
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

Danial in Ak:

You said that you didn't want to spend all that money on something like the leupold if it is going to get beat up, but leupold will replace or fix anything that happens to the scope.  There are a lot of stories out there of people losing their rifle and finding it a year later with the rifle torn up, but their leupold is still clear to look through.  That just shows that they will hold up to alot, and even if they were to fail, leupold would replace it free of charge.  I heard somewhere (maybe on here) that a guy ran a leupold over with a truck and they replaced it for free.  That is some kind of a warrenty if you ask me.  I have nothing against nikon, I agree they are very clear and bright, but the little bit better clearness you might get in a nikon over a leupold won't make up for knowing that if something happens you the leupold, you can get it fixed for free.  That's just my opinion though.  Like I said, I like nikon and everything, its just....I like leupold better.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Daniel in Ak

True Marlin in what you said.Honestly I dont mind beating my equipment,thats what it's for.Heck I'll buy Zeiss or Swarovski and beat then as well,but I guess Im trying to give another brand that was not given that is a little less in money If they are worried about scratching or beating there equipment.

But I can say the absolut worse Ive ever done was fall over backwards and smaked my scope only to find a dent in it and this on opening morning of deer season.Azkiote took it from me and shot a rock 300 yards away with it and hit it, now thats a scope,and a scope I still have to this day.and thats a redfield 3x9 low/flat eye relief with the yardage in the reticle.Daniel

Tags: