English Cartridge Series - 700 Nitro

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), February 26, 2005, 07:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Wellll...I reckon the next step up will be the .800 Nitro.  If this were to keep up we'd have the environmentals chirping about inadvertently taking out large sections of the scenery as well as the game animal.

Still...it would be an interesting cartridge to have in one's collection.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Jay,

Wonder if we could get a dummy round for the collection?  The cartridge as described would be adequate for West Texas jackrabbits, Colorado pasture poodles, Idaho porcupines and Montana marmots.....but might be a tad on the slow side for Saskatchawan beaver.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Jay Edward (deceased)

I know what you mean.  I think I would be tempted to elevate my rifle over a dusty plain and use it like a mortar.

I'll bet the cartridge is as hard to get as the rifle and not that much less in actual cost.

Marlin917VS

The recoil on a 300 mag is in my upper limit, I couldn't imagin shooting this thing!!  How do they sight those in?  Maybe get un-suspecting people to give it a go for one shot and after 3 broken shoulders they make adjustments, then find some more people who don't know what they're in for.  I'de like to see a video of someone shooting something like that and see what it does to them.  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

klallen

Evening Fellas  >>  I think I paid $70 to own a live .700 NE cartridge.  Seems kinda silly to pay that much for a round, but it was worth it just to get one of these into my hands.  Here it is flanked by two of my .270 Win. reloads.  >>  klallen

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: klallenEvening Fellas >> I think I paid $70 to own a live .700 NE cartridge. Seems kinda silly to pay that much for a round, but it was worth it just to get one of these into my hands. Here it is flanked by two of my .270 Win. reloads. >> klallen
[/size]

Yikes!

Violator22

Just think, after shooting one of those you could join the circus as the man who can clap his shoulderblades.  That is insane.  Way to much gun to shoot accurately.  I like hitting my target with the first round.  I think that would scare me enough not to miss though.
Fortune sides with he who dares!

Marlin917VS

I have to admit though, if I had a huge elephant in my sights, the last thing I would be thinking about is recoil.  With my deer this year, shooting my 308, I didn't tuck the rifle in my shoulder at all and I didn't notice that the scope hit my nose until after I was sitting next to the deer and my blood was dripping down on it.  How it hit my nose and not my eye, I don't know?  Probably bad technique, but I still got it, so its alright.  I'm just thankful I was shooting a 308 and not a 700 NE.  Then I'de have a little more than a bloody swolen nose!!  Later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Shotgunhemi

So this is the biggest sporting cartidge available? I'd fire one, from the hip of course just to have a bit of fun.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

klallen

Quote from: ShotgunhemiSo this is the biggest sporting cartidge available? I'd fire one, from the hip of course just to have a bit of fun.
Neah, there's bigger.  JDJones has done some strange stuff.  One in particular using a 20mm fighter jet case  :eek:   .  Feller in Australia's necked up the BMG case to take a .727 caliber bullet.  Bigger is out there if ya want it.  I reckon Mr. JAY EDWARD will get to them in time.  Keep an eye in his continuing, and educational, series of cartridges.  Later.  >>  klallen

rockinbbar

I wouldn't shoot it from the hip either...;)

The thought of that gun ripping through my grasp gives me shivers....LOL. Not to mention all the meat it would take off my hands as it went.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Shotgunhemi

I thought the 460 Weatherby Magnum was big, but this is getting out of hand. Guy in Australia necking up the half incher? Some people think us Aussies are nuts, well i think Klallen confirmed it lol. Yeah you are probably right Rockinbbar, about staying away from this monstrosity. Ive enjoyed these posts Jay, good job mate.
Chris

SSAA DEERSTALKERS CLUB

sakorick

I think it's a beauty.This is a crew served weapon plain and simple. If you can afford to book a hunt for Cape Buffalo in Africa, you can surely afford the shells and a Gunga Din to carry the rifle and another to carry the bipod, shells and cold beer. If I shot one of those critters, I would want it to die right now. These
animals can hurt you real bad including .....dead. I would prefer a Huey Cobra with 40 mike mike, 2.75 folding fin aerial rockets and a mini gun.....By golly, that should take care of them!!!!:D
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

kombi1976

Quote from: klallenFeller in Australia's necked up the BMG case to take a .727 caliber bullet.
So Klallen, when are you ordering your rifle in .727 BMG?
It'd sit real nice next to the Warbird in your gun cabinet......... :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Tags: