A New Rifle

Started by recoil junky, February 17, 2015, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I don't know what it is about the .25 caliber, but I have always been drawn to it. Didn't care for .243s for some reason. Been down the .270 Win path, and while I think it's a great cartridge, it's just not held my interest. I think the .284 edged the .277 out for me. Don't know why the 6.5/264 never really turned my crank either. I like the 6.5x55, but that cartridge seems to be a "big game" cartridge, and there are so many others - like 7mm/.284 - that just hold my interest more. Such are the things horse races are made of.

I like .25s. The .25-06 is certainly the largest case I would entertain, but with the 'new' powders AND a barrel at least 26" long, 'I'm a believer'. I think it's a great caliber for pronghorns, western whitetails, and mulies. I think the .25-06 might be a bit 'much' for small varmints, and it's certainly not going to be 'fur friendly' for foxes and coyotes.

What bullet and powder are you using?

Lookin' forward to dead critter pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

I would have liked to get the 25-06 with a nice Walnut stock, but unfortunately NO ONE makes a 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel other than Remington, so I was "forced" to take what I could get.

BH, I don't begrudge you our dislike for Remingtons. We all have our flaws. I'd like nothing more than to have a Sako, Parker Hale or Husqvarna rifle. Someday I hope a Sako will be in my gun cabinet and a John Deere in my tractor shed.

I've always had better than good luck with Remingtons. Even with their plastic stocks, trigger problems and safety recalls, mine always shoot.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteI've always had better than good luck with Remingtons. Even with their plastic stocks, trigger problems and safety recalls, mine always shoot.
:biggthumpup:

paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Quote from: Jamie.270;137871Gee,...  Really?
Gosh BH, I never woulda guessed!
:cheesy: <---  This is my sarcastic face!

:grin:

Nice piece RJ!
With a 6.5 and a .270 I really have no use for a "quarter bore," but that looks like the ideal platform for one.

Ahhhh when ever did use become a requisite for buying another rifle??

BTW have handled and shot a fair few Remington 700's and I just don't like them. I like the way they are made even less as they really do remind me of "The Woolies Gun" .................................. for those that don't know due to the very cheap way the Sten gun was made it was called this. Woolies =Woolworths the bargin store which originally had just one price for everything Sixpence.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Kinda like to keep this thread on topic. RecoilJunky's new rifle. I suggest that a diatribe on how much one hates Remingtons can be started in another thread.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

OK Gitano ........................................ I'll keep my thoughts to myself and my own council.

BTW I would read other forums on THL but my lists start once again at Big game nowt above that.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I'm not sure what going on with that, BH. I haven't changed anything recently except moving some "stickies" to the "Reference Library". If you have a Skype account, we can connect and I can look at your settings to see if I can determine what's happening. In the alternative, you might contact j0e_bl0ggs for some 'closer' help.

I'll look around at the general settings and see if I can find something.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

IMR7828, 117 grain Sierra Gamekings, Remington brass and CCI primers.

LRJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

With a COAL of 3.25" and 56.1 grains of 7828, QL predicts 3177 f/s, at a modest - for this cartridge - 57,000 PSI. So, according to QL and "quick and dirty" numbers, you shouldn't be seeing any pressure. That is of course if you are using something close to this charge.

With that bullet at that MV, it's got pretty nice external ballistics with 200 yd zero; 5.5" low and 1600 ft-lbs at 300 yd.

According to the 'experts', that's an elk cartridge. It'll certainly handle mule deer and pronghorns.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nice rifle RJ, quite like the 25-06 too!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Brithunter

Quote from: gitano;137914I'm not sure what going on with that, BH. I haven't changed anything recently except moving some "stickies" to the "Reference Library". If you have a Skype account, we can connect and I can look at your settings to see if I can determine what's happening. In the alternative, you might contact j0e_bl0ggs for some 'closer' help.

I'll look around at the general settings and see if I can find something.

Paul

Sorry no skype .................... perhaps I should look into what is required. Hmmm I do have mic and head phone from the Xbox 360. I beleive that bit is still in the box. No camera here though. Will look into it a bit more.

The site did this once before then it seemed to reset itself.
Go Get them Floyd!

recoil junky

I was hoping to see some numbers from QuickLoad. Thanks Paul. I need to measure the case volume in cc's of water so we can be more accurate.

I'm right at 55 grains of IMR7828 right now. I want to say the COAL is 3.155. This because the farther I seated the bullet IN the more accurate it got. Kinda like the 300RUM in that respect. Weird huh. :stars:

If the weather holds I'm going to play with it more this weekend. I have to go to my Marine's welcome home barbecue on Saturday after I take him and his girlfriend out for breakfast.

Paul, he's the one in the video on facebook you "liked". To say I'm proud of him is an understatement!!! OOrah!!!

RJ

gitano

QuoteThis because the farther I seated the bullet IN the more accurate it got. Kinda like the 300RUM in that respect. Weird huh.
Not weird to me at all. Seating depth changes timing. It's that simple. Lotsa folks, myself included, think that the optimum off-the-lands distance is between 65 and 120 thou. This of course flies in the face of the benchrest 'experts' that insist that on-the-lands is the only way to go. They are wrong, and I'll make no apologies for saying so until they apologize for the harm they've done to the hunting reloading community.

According to QL, 55 grains of 7828 with a COAL of 3.155" gives an estimated MV of 3155 f/s. That's pretty close to your 3173. Estimated pressure is only 55,920 PSI. "On paper", you've got 'room to move'.

Is the marine coming back from boot or over-seas?

Paul

PS - Just noticed COAL of 3.155 and estimated MV of 3155.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

He just got back from over there. He's a V22 Osprey mechanic on the USS Makin Island (LHD-8)

As with the 300RUM, I am over the stated velocity before a "maximum" load was reached by a goodly amount.

We agree (which is rare :toff: :clown:) on benchrest shooters. PTOOEY!!!

It is the opinion (unproven with accurately gathered data) of this shooter that with the bullet closer to or touching the lands that dangerous pressure spikes can be seen in over bore cartridges or cartridges with freebore (like the 300RUM) I experienced this while working up loads for my 22-250, .243, 7mm Mag and 300RUM.

As for "room to move" that's exactly what I'm going to do 1/10 of a grain at a time until I reach the desired accuracy or I get pressure signs.

RJ

gitano

We agree completely about "on" and "off" lands, RJ.

I used to increase loads in 0.1 grain increments, but I read from reliable sources - mostly the fellow that developed the Optimal Charge Weight theory - that 0.3 grain increments show 'things' more definitively. Then when a .3 grain spread looks best, I move to .1 between them. However, changes in ambient temperature can mask a .1 grain difference.

I'm not trying to tell you how to work up a load! You're long past the need for any of that. I'm just passing on some of the changes I have gone through as I moved down my reloading path.

Looks like you're going to get some good velocity from that rifle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: