F150s

Started by RatherBHuntin, June 12, 2009, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

Well I finally had to crack open my wallet and got my boy a truck for his 17th birthday (changing states caused him to wait for his license). Course I didn't crack my wallet open much, he got a 91 F150 with a mostly 302 V8, some of the windows, at least one good speaker, 2 of 3 mirrors, 4 good tires one average spare, all of the body panels (none dented) and one extremely leaky power steering pump.

The passenger window was gone, due to the fact that the previous owner tried to pull it up with a pair of vice grips when the motor went out. Replaced the motor and window, changed plug wires and plugs and then it got interesting. The Ford 5 Liter standard plugs would go, and after taking the plugs that were in it up to the auto store adn getting ones to match he said that the motor probably has 351 heads on it:huh: Whatever, it runs strong. The brakes need bled and the AC needs to be checked out sometime to see if it's fixable, but that's not a priority at all. Next thing needs done is the power steering pump, which shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and that piece of plexiglass in the rear slider might need replaced with a real piece of glass. A trip to the junk yard to get a new back bumper and the inside rearview and he will be in fine shape.

I did buy him a new set of door speakers while we had the panels off....though they surely aren't what he had in mind, they work. Now he just needs to figure out what goes in the funny small slot inthe radio, he couldn't get a CD to go in there for anything:grin: He mentioned a new radio and :stop:I politely told him that was the very last thing he needed to worry about.

I need to get the camera out and post some pics.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

QuoteNow he just needs to figure out what goes in the funny small slot inthe radio, he couldn't get a CD to go in there for anything:grin:
I hear ya! I have a stereo for sale and one of the components is a cassette deck that holds 6 cassettes. people give me the blank stare!!!!!!!!

QuoteHe mentioned a new radio and :stop:I politely told him that was the very last thing he needed to worry about.
I beg to differ! tunes are a top priority!!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Hey, I have a '01 accent here that plays either the radio or a cassette tape. They can't be that old, can they?

Not only that, but I still have a bunch of tapes to play in it (nevermind that they might be considered relics by many).

I can still remember the days of 8-track tapes. Always hated how the thing changed over in the middle of a song, but we didn't know anyhing better than that. ;)

Daryl.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

QuoteThey can't be that old, can they?

You would not think so Daryl, but you cannot find players anymore. I can remember when someone played a CD for me for the first time my sophmore year in highschool. He was one of the first kids to own one. I truly though they would never "catch" on!
Quotehe got a 91 F150 with a mostly 302cc V8,
I drive a 97 and she is still going strong!!! I believe mine has the 280 in though. I believe it was the first year they came out with the smaller V8, but I could be wrong. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

Mrs. RJ's Buick will play cassettes as well. The new pickup will not, just cd's. The Bronco on the other  hand STILL HAS THE FACTORY 8 TRACK!!!!! Believe it or not I still have a few 8 tracks that play. :o

RBH, sounds like you've found a good truck for the boy to learn on. He'll learn to respect his ride thatta way. Yeah, it'll get some abuse from time to time, what vehicle doesn't? But the time you two are spending together, plus what he's learning from you and what he'll pick up on is own will be invaluable down the road. Keep it up.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

kombi1976

Here's an option for your lad.
Around here to get the volume up and fit a CD or MP3 player a lot of guys fit a power amp under the seat and simply run a stereo RCA-headphone lead that plugs straight into your iPod/MP3 player.
Doesn't need to be an expensive power amp and I can buy the leads down at the local supermarket.
Although if you know someone clever with electronics you can actually take on old car radio apart, put on headphone input to the power amp with a switch between the radio and it and run a Discman or iPod into it.
Keeps the dash tidy and avoids spending big dollars on a radio.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

RatherBHuntin

We got the power steering pump replaced, replaced the passenger window motor and window, put new back glass in from the junk yard and was even able to get a sliding window like was in it.  Also picked up a rear view mirror, no back bumper though.  Had to go with a new battery, which is never a bad idea, specially when you have no idea how old the other is.  Bled the brakes which has helped them some.  Flushed the radiator, but I don't think it really needed it, just thought we would go ahead and do it.  We will probably change the tranny fluid too.

He got a console for the floor and some floor mats so it's starting to look like his truck now.  We drove to the junk yard with the entire back window out, he thought that was a hoot.  Almost regretted putting one back in it, but it's nice to not see that piece of plexiglass sitting in there for a pane, and he can secure it now.  He has spent a lot of time cleaning it and working on it.  If he behaves and keeps it up I may just put that radio or maybe some Flowmaster's on it for him.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

RBH, you owe us some pics now!
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Nelsdou

RBH,

Rent your son the movie - Mr Majestyk.  That'll give him some ideas!  With that movie Charles Bronson boosted the sales of the F-150 more than any sales campaign by Ford to date.  I've had two, a '80 and '95, both the older body style.  Despite 15 years difference there wasn't much difference between the two.

When I was a college kid working construction the company I worked for had a fleet of both Chevy and Ford trucks, none of which got any loving care.  Seemed like when we had any kind of a problem with the Chevy's at the jobsite, they were broke down dead.  When the F-150's developed problems they always somehow managed to limp along and get us home.

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

RatherBHuntin

ok, I didn;t muster up the oomph to get a picture, but naturally my son had one on his phone...right next to the girlfriend pictures....it's a good thing she hunts or I'm afraid he would give it up.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

kombi1976

Very tidy, Glenn.
What colour do they call that?
Cheers & God Bless

Alboy

That aint no beater. I would be glad to hAVE it ANYDAY.

Friend of mine used to work in R&D for ford in the 80's. One of their priorities was to build a truck that would limp off the road no matter what the crash did to it. From your statements seems they were fairly successful
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

RatherBHuntin

It's brown, though with the fading it's looking more like bronze. The clear coat is pealing off the hood but we aint worried about little things like that. Do need to replace the post the door latches on, the plastic boot that goes over it is missing on the passenger side and the door rattles pretty bad, you just screw those out and screw another in? Hopefully the nut is welded to the inside.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Tags: