270 load

Started by Hunterbug, June 07, 2021, 01:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

My youngest daughter drew an elk tag that's technically not a once in a lifetime hunt, but it's pretty darn close. She drew it as a youth and as an adult it takes 20 to 25 years to draw. So we're looking for a big bull. As we talked about what gun to take I offered several options and Gitano even offered to help but she wants to stick with her trusty 270. So I looked around and found a box of 41, 150gr Partitions. That's not a lot to work up a load and hunt with. I called a buddy and he gave me another full box. I looked at the powders I had and selected RL19. It gives good velocity and I have 3 pounds of it. I loaded up 5 each of 4 different charges and today we headed to the range. I got 2 good groups that each had a flier due to operator error. I'm going to go with the second one. It's still not than good enough to hit a bull but it's the faster of the two. Now I'll load up a few more to chronograph and adjust the scope. The squares are 3/4of an inch.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: