Help identifying parker hale 30-06

Started by bgnlp404, September 03, 2008, 05:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgnlp404

I have a parker hale 30-06 I'm trying to identify and get an idea of the value, hopefully without removing the barrel. It is a bolt action, has the sling swivel mounts, iron sights, engraved hinged magazine and trigger guard. Has the Parker Hale Ltd Birmingham, England and Precision Sports Inc Cortland NY 30/06 on the top of the barrel. Also has BNP and symbol on side with B-07***.

Looks exactly like this -

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. Brian

davidlt89

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum. I know nothing about parker hales, and I mean absolutely nothing, but the correct authorities will be along soon to give you all your answers, you can take that to the bank. enjoy yourself and post often. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Hi Brian,

Ahhh now I have a mid 1980's flier form P-H with that rifle in, in facts it's even on the cover :) , but of course I have laid it down and cannot find it right now :Banghead: however I believe from memory that it's a model 1000 lightweight. It has a slimmer barrel and that light weight stock for those who wanted a lighter rifle for much carrying. Alpine hunting comes to mind much walking and climbing with little shooting.

I will endevour to look out the leaflet and check if I am right or wrong. Hmmm I wonder why the high mounts? they look kinda out of place on such a trim little rifle :confused: . I also wonder if this rifle gave Remington the idea of the Model 7 ?.
Go Get them Floyd!

bgnlp404

Model 1000 Lightweight, thanks BritHunter.  I appreciate your help and any more info you may come across. The pic is not my rifle, mine definitely does not have that terrible looking high mount scope! Thanks again, I'll check back soon.

bgnlp404

Is this possibly a 1100 Lightweight? After more research I think it may be. What's your opinions?

sakorick

As I recall the 1000 had a plastic buttplate and grip trim with the white spacers. So then I would say your's is a M1100. I like the schnabel forend.....nice rifle. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi Guys,

Hmmm my mind must be slipping as I could not remember which forum this was on :Banghead:  anyway I still have not located my 84 flier but the No 86 catalogue arrived this morning and diving into it yep your spot on Rick it's the 1100 Light weight, a late one as it appears in the No 86 catalogue which is from the period 1986/87.  Interestingly to me at least is the fact that they dropped the std 1100 at this point and only offered the Light Weight and Magnum in the 1100 :undecided: I suppose they thought the place of the 1100 De Luxe 1100 was taken by the M81 Calssic.

Oh they also called the Midland the model 2100, another fact I had forgotten :frown .

So now I really need to find a catalogue from the 1980/81 period that covers the introduction of the M81 classic and see if they dropped the 1100 De Luxe at that time.
Go Get them Floyd!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Welll further to this thread Yesterday (Friday) I stumbled upon a nice P-H 1100 Light Weight in 308 win which followed me home of 1986 vintage. I am now giving it a good going over and cleaning the bore which seems to be lead fouled so it's been used for cast lead propbably by a club shooter? due to our daft ammunition rules. Will test fire it later with a some jacketed to see if it removes the last of the leading.

So I now have three variations of the Model 1100:-

1100M

1100 De Luxe

1100 Lightweight

and I think that covers the 1100 models :)  now I need to add more 1200's like a 1200SC and a 1200 with the rounded fore tip rather than the angular one that both my 1200 super and 1200V have :biggthumpup: . I also saw what I believe was a Model 100 Std in the shop but any more will ahve to wait :frown .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

You've caught the PH fever bad, BH. There is no cure. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Nope not really they just fill in the British sporting part of my collection :greentongue: .

Right now I have the stock stripped and whilst I had the stripper out I also finally stripped off the finish (damaged) off the 6mm 1200V. The newly acquired 1100 Lwt has some nice grain under that horrid brown finish it had on it however the finish was not the Poly they used on some as it almost wiped off with the Nitromores stripper. I took photos of it yesterday but have not fired up my old puter to lift them off the camera, the software with my Olympus won't work with XP which Mum's machine has on it :confused: . So you will be able to see the difference once I get it done in a few days. Right now it has "Red Oil" (Alkanet Root oil) on the stock to bring out the grain and boy has it soaked it up :eek: .

The bore has mostly come clean but I fear that there is some light pitting caused by the fouling being left in there. Used a combination of Forrest Bore foam on the copper after P-H 009 to remove the powder fouling and some of the lead. Will know better after shooting a fair number of rounds to give it a work out then cleanignit afterwards.

I think I will trying to use the 130 grain bullets in this as when I shot a couple of old handloads with Nosler 165 Bal Tips through it using the Nikko Sterling scope the sharp recoil surprised me and actually knocked my Ball cap off when the scope came back :eek:  I will keep the 165's + for the Brno ZKK 601 :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

I wouldn't worry about some light pitting....I have a K98 that was a Russian Capture with some serious pitting that shoots lights out. I suspect good things from that 308. Regards, Rick.

Tags: