sizing and lubing cast bullets.

Started by farmboy, March 03, 2015, 04:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Part of my first gun purchase as a young man was a colt 357 a rcbs progressive press and a rcbs casting setup. I thought when I bought my pistol I had money then and might not always so I could shoot for next to nothing getting the casting equipment. YOut can still load pistol calibres for less money than 22lr ammo. There were three of us that casted bullets in the group that I hung out with and in the day we each did it differently. The one fellow used cast bullets from Lee molds that they said in there instructions to shoot as cast size. He went by there instructions and bought Lee lube rolled them around in it and set them out to dry. I had bought the rcbs dies and sizer. After casting I would set the bullet in the sizer which had a matching top punch for the shape of the bullet and a die for the sizing. In the body of the lube sizer I used rcbs or Lyman or hodgdon hollow centre lube. There is a threaded ram that you turn to keep pressure on the lube. You set the bullet on top of the sizer die much the same as holding the bullet over the case when reloadind a shell, pull the handle down on the lube sizer and push the bullet into the sizer die lift the handle and it is done resized and lubed. Look at the bullet and if there does not seem to be enough lube increase the pressure on the lube by turning the handle on the lube chamber. The bullet has to be lifted out of the lube sizer. The third fellow had the best set up he had a star lube sizer with a heater under the lube chamber and used a lime called red rooster if I remember correctly. This was a hard lube that needed to be heated to floe into the bullet grooves. The star lube sizer only needed to push the bullets down and they would fall out the bottom. His hard lube would stay in the grooves better and no where near as messy. Easier and faster when the bullets fall out the bottom. The modern way I have not done this but a friend of mine is doing it is to powder coat bullets. Some people sizer before powder coating others after. With the powder in a plastic coffee can he throws some bullets in the can shakes them and then takes the out with a set of needle nose and puts them on a try they into a toaster oven to bake the powder on them.

Tags: