Moderating Threads

Started by rockinbbar, September 16, 2008, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

A question came up in one of the forums about why a thread was moderated...

Daryl & myself didn't do anything in the thread. After reading it, we were both puzzled as to the moderation in the thread & it was opened back up.

It may have just been locked by mistake, or something red-flagged someone to lock it.

In any case, my point is this....

This room is for all of us to communicate our thoughts & to get the thoughts of other moderators without letting things hit the open board.

Daryl & myself will back you to the hilt. But, we have to know what is going on & the circumstances surrounding an issue before we can reply to anyone that raises a question.

So, if you could, keep us informed in here.

It also lets the other mods know to watch a certain thread, or if there's a potential problem.

We are very proud of the moderation staff we have here. You are the best & most knowlegable people on the internet! That's why you were asked to be moderators.

We run a pretty tight ship here at THL, & therefore don't have the drama that other sites incur. I just think a little communication goes a long ways to shedding light on a situation.

I'd like to know what you guys think about trying more communication back here as well.

Thanks,

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

davidlt89

sounds good to me. I have only removed things I am sure are offensive. If I ever have a question, I will not hesitate to ask. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

I try to do what Jay has done with me in the past, if there is a problem with a post, give the poster the chance to fix  it first, unless of course it is grossly offensive.

That said, I'm not sure if I am being too fascist with the profanity and words meant to insinuate profanity bit.  I seem to find myself continuously reminding folks to watch there language, and honestly I feel like a nag sometimes.  I've been in the Army for nearly 19 years and have as foul a mouth as any sailor you've ever met, but I don't use such language in public and feel that if you wouldn't say it in church it probably shouldn't be said in front of anyone else....outside of a bar or private company.  

One I just ran across is "Bloody 'ell".  Do ya'll feel that needs edited?

I was following the archery thread and never saw anything wrong with it.  My guess is someone deleted it without even knowing it.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

I don't know anything about it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

rockinbbar

Glenn,

First & foremost is the goal of a family environment. We all know that cussin' isn't allowed here.

Everyone moderates differently. That's why we have more than just a couple of them. It's the different opinions that make this work.
That said, I think profanity or eluding to profanity, or trying to get around the sensor by misspelling a word, like "azz", or symbols...*%$&*%$ kinda push the line.
We leave that up to ya'll to decide. Jay was known for not having a "grey area"....
Sometimes there is a shade of grey.....
If I wouldn't show it to my daughter, or mother, then it probably needs editing.

The bow thread that got locked could just be a gremlin in the software, or someone hit a wrong button inadvertantly. It doesn't concern me too much at all.
The only thing I would suggest is communication back here in the event that something does come up, all of us are the same page with it.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

I'm with you, Barry.  I'm thinking it may have been a gremlin or glitch somewhere.

At any rate, the thread is back up.  Seems I didn't get it figured out the first time.

According to the "Thread Tools" list at the top of the page, the thread was closed.  I opened it, but evidently it still wasn't working right.

So I investigated further, and apparently the thread was marked "unapproved" under the moderation links towards the bottom.  Now it's approved again, although I'm really not sure why it went whacky.

Anyway, it's all working now from what I can see, and I'll keep an eye out to make sure the gremlins don't go to work again.

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

I'm not sure what ya'll are talking about either but I like the methodology...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

buckshot roberts

well ya got me..........didn't know anything about it.........my power was off for 7 days.........just got back up an working..... Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Daryl (deceased)

Glad you made it back, Ron!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: