Hey, new guy here.

Started by Brian1973, June 12, 2009, 08:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian1973

Hi all, new guy here on The Hunter's Life.  I'm not new to hunting, been doing it since I was a kid.  I'm the proud new owner of a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag.  I did some reading prior to buying this caliber and always wanted one.  I have owned several calibers and started out with a 270 winny.  I know everybody has opinions on their favorite caliber and why, I was wondering how many of you all use the 7mm mag and what kind of success you have had with it?  I will be mainly using it for deer in Kansas and be heading out to western Kansas where shots can become rather long.  Maybe even some black bear hunting out east in the short future.  

Thanks all

davidlt89

welcome Brian, glad to have ya aboard. I use have remington XCR in 7mm mag and use it for deer and blackbear. I really like it. you will not be dissapointed. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Steve D

Brian, welcome.  I haven't used the 7 mag, but you find anyh number of shooters here who have nothing but good to say about it.  Personally, in the 7mm category, my favorite is the 280 Rem, but you have to load it pretty risky just to try and nudge the 7 mag.  It should do well for you.  If you decide to bring it a little east to Mo, there're a number of members here who would enjoy hearing from you.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Brian1973

Thanks guys for the replies. I just might head into good ol mizzou.  Hey David, how do you like your XCR? I have one in 375 H&H. I know don't need it around here but kinda my toy and I love the caliber.  Never know when a elephant or something will excape from the zoo ;)  All my hunting will be done with my 7mm, I just shot it today, didn't have time to sight in the scope but just wanted to make sure it went bang when I pulled the trigger, recoil not bad at all.

Daryl (deceased)

I've been shooting the 7mm mag since abuot 1986 or so, and it's always worked great for me.

Deer, antelope, elk, bear, bison, and all sorts of various critters.

It's my favorite cartridge for north american big game, bar none.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

gitano

While it's not my favorite cartridge of all time, it's certainly near the top of the list. It is an oustanding cartridge for North America. There's nothing in North America except coastal brown bears that I wouldn't shoot with it (and mostly have), and even the largest coastal brown bear I ever shot, I shot with what was essentially 7mm Mag. You should find it serves you well.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteHey David, how do you like your XCR?
I enjoy it a lot, it fits me like a glove. I have the RMEF edition in 7mm mag. I like the looks of it also. Here is a picture for ya! It has been the best rifle I have owned, but then again, I have not owned too many. I am a remington 700 fan by nature! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brian1973

Wow David sure is purty! I love them there Remington 700's. This is my 3rd Vanguard both other's in 300 weatherby.  I'm itching to try out the 7mm. I'v heard guys saying they have killed everyhing in Nortn America including the big Bears, I would imagine I would take my 375 if going after them but heard guys taking them with 7mm mag's.

sakorick

Hard to beat Remington's big 7. I've had several......no complaints. Welcome to the forum, Brian. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brian1973

Thanks Rick,  I look foward to picking you all's brains, I'm always wanting to learn something new about hunting and firearms used for such.

Tags: