Do you keep both eyes open when shooting?

Started by babbyc1000, December 14, 2006, 04:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babbyc1000

hi all, bit of a funny question this.

i was talking to a guy today about snooting, and the conversation got round to closing one eye to shoot when using a shotgun or ironsights (not a scope). he was trying to tell me that by only using one eye you are far more accurate than using both, whereas i always figured that both eyes give you more depth perception, which in my book helps when judging a shot.

just wondering what everyone else does!

sorry poll doesnt seem to be working at the mo, sure just say what you do and ill try to fix it!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Daryl (deceased)

I used to shoot with 2 eyes open.

Then I started shooting with a scope sight, and the off eye being open was more than I could handle.  Now I pretty much shoot with one eye closed, just out of habit.

Many times when shooting handguns I shoot with both eyes open, though I'll oft-times squint a bit with the off eye.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Allen

Both eyes open with hand guns, long guns with iron sights or with a scope. Its the way I learned to shoot and I think it helps me witha quicker second shot.

Allen

Jay Edward (deceased)

I keep both eyes open as the 'master eye' takes over and I have no problems.  It is my understanding that flexing the face muscles to close one eye can have an effect on your shooting.  For this reason, among some, there is a clip on eye shield so that you can train your master eye.

m gardner

I keep both open when shooting right handed because my right eye is my master eye. When I shoot left handed I must shut my right eye to get a good sight picture. Except when shooting a handgun lefty because the right eye works fine then.

Alboy

I am in with a combination.

Pistols and shotguns I have both eyes open. Most of that shooting is instinctive.

Rifles one eye closed even with iron sights.

The exception to both is really close shots on the rifle (under 10 yards) both open and long shots 50 yards + with pistol one eye open.

This also explains why I have some trouble switching from rifle to shotgun and back.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

recoil junky

Both eyes open , whether it be open sites or a scope. Just the way I was taught.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

nrthrn_maine_hunter

Pretty much the same as Alboy, shotgun-both open, rifle-1 eye.  Never really trained myself to do either, just what came naturally.
God is Love!
Justin
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

klallen

Left eye shut, right eye open regardless of scoped or opensited handguns and rifles.

buckshot roberts

;) both eye's open with shotgun's and hand gun's, one closed with rifle's, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

BigHunter200076

I couldn't shoot with both eyes open I get distracted easily I think so I do keep 1 eye closed.

Tags: