Time at the Hamilton rifle range

Started by branxhunter, November 24, 2013, 12:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

I like it. I have my personal beefs about hippies, mainly the way they drove VW Buses into the ground and made many of them so rusty they were irredeemable. Also their belief that marijuana was simply mind altering and harmless. But then my feelings are the same for 70s surfers. For the record, marijuana is a largest trigger of latent psychosis and huge cost in our mental health system. So "Right arm" to your altered slang! ;)
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

22hornet

Looks like you had a fantastic day Marcus. A great day spent with your dad on the range. :2thumbsup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Jorge in Oz

Nice write up and pics Marcus, glad you and your old man had a great time together.

Nice shooting too.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

branxhunter

Had another day at the range with my brother and Dad. Since the last shoot I have worked up a load using low drag 155gn Dyer HPs, and have added a Davis 2 stage target trigger, a second hand Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope, and an accessory rail to mount a borrowed F/class bipod.

We had a great day shooting the feral cat target at 300 yards and feral pig at 400 yards. My brother was shooting his heavy barrel Tikka T3 in .30-06 while Dad and I shared the Omark. And yes, he showed us up again..... The cunning old b%&&#@ was more than happy for me to shoot first at both ranges and get the rifle zeroed in......

Here are a few photos

[ATTACH]13623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13624[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13628[/ATTACH]

Marcus

branxhunter

A few more photos from the day.

[ATTACH]13629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13631[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13632[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13634[/ATTACH]

Marcus

davidlt89

Excellent!!! that is one nice target your dad shot at 300! was that with open sights? because if it was, that was some fine shooting. Looking at his target and your target, you may want to take a few tips from "dad":grin: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

There's plenty to be happy with in those results.
Out of interest, what sort of '06 ammo was your brother using?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

branxhunter

Quote from: davidlt89;132613Excellent!!! that is one nice target your dad shot at 300! was that with open sights? because if it was, that was some fine shooting. Looking at his target and your target, you may want to take a few tips from "dad":grin: God Bless.

Nope - we were both shooting the scope sighted Omark. The targets above are mine, while these are his two targets:

[ATTACH]13635[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13636[/ATTACH]

We are both still feeling our way with this whole target shooting thing but it is a lot of fun, and is a great way to get a handle on the effects of wind.

Kombi, I am not sure what brand the loads are, but they are a heavy (up around 190gn?) target load he found at a reasonable price in one of the gunshops we occasionally drive past driving between work sites.

Marcus

sakorick

Dad's can surprise you! That is some great shooting. I have a friend with a Ruger bull barrel 22-250 Remington that shoots tiny groups. Seems to be a very accurate cartridge across the board. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

kombi1976

I did wonder what they are. They look like Geco by the symbol on the box but I could be wrong. The cool thing with an '06 is that you can use a really heavy bullet as a target bullet......so long as your powder load backs it up. Bet his Tikka shoots well. Not an obvious target cal though.
Cheers & God Bless

Brithunter

Interesting comment :-

QuoteNot an obvious target cal though

as after all for many .... many decades the 30-06 was THE target cartridge especially in the US and spheres it had influence. I suppose like the UK "down under" had the 303.

Looking at the photos some of those "rifles" are more like artillery pieces.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Go Get them Floyd!

branxhunter

I took the Omark to the range and shot two rounds of 10 at 300 yards - first time I have been back for many months. The wind was right to left and ranged from a strong breeze down to gentle breeze.

[ATTACH]13976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13977[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty happy with how I went. I came fourth on the day. The first three were all shooting rifles worth $3,000 + (two Barnards and a Stolle Panda).

Marcus

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Nice shooting Marcus.

That Omark is a gem. The shooter is not too bad either. ;)
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

JaDub

Dang , Marcus.   That`s some great shooting !!

Tags: