Think we need a 'making stuff' thread...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 04, 2012, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

They have really gone up, Midsouth has them for $17.50 plus sh, I remember them as $12.50.
Time flies and the prices rise like a loaf of bread.

:(
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I was surprised when recently I started looking for RGB die sets and all the ones I found were above $22. Now most of them are even higher. I'd like to pay a grad-student to research and investigate the retail costs of "basic" firearms-related products over the past four years. And lest there be any confusion about my 'point', let me make it clear: I do NOT blame Barack Hussein Obama for this increase in prices. I SUSPECT that it is nothing more than fundamental GREED of those in the firearms industry. The idiot sheeple all got their panties in a bunch when Barack Hussein Obama was elected, and caused a "run" on items like bullets and primers. The manufacturers COULD have ramped up to meet the demand, but WHY? All they did was raise the prices BECAUSE THEY KNEW THE SHEEPLE WOULD PAY. Once "educated" with the brass/bullets/primer example, they just started raising prices and the sheeple continue to pay. "You" simply cannot believe how bad this is with respect to AR-15 and AR-10 parts. By ANYONE'S standards, it is OBSCENE price-gouging.

That said, we live in a "free-market" economy. There are no laws except anti-monopoly laws that prevent manufacturers AND "middle men" from raising their prices to "what the market will bear".

That doesn't mean that I don't think "they" aren't the scum of the earth.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

On reamers, what style of "D" reamer do you make?
I have used grade 8 bolts because they were available and worked , most of the time. You can re harden and re temper them and ,I have learned , should get at least RC 50 from one.
I recently had a free shipping over $50 offer from Enco, so I ordered 3' lengths of 17/32 " drill rod, A2, O-1 and W-1.
Now just need to try some.
From the tempering chart Joe posted, I can get the correct temperature in my electric oven for finishing a reamer, I had been using about the proper quenching temperature, dull red verging on cherry red and off into the oil, then reheat until the color just starts to change, looks as though that would be about 200` C.
I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the prices were on the rod.
Should have enough to last a LONG time at the 5" per reamer average usage

gitano

I'm not sure how to answer with regard to "style", Don. The last one that worked was made from "O-1 tool steel".

By the way... This is "just what the doctor ordered" for the 8x51 resizing die.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110872724339#ht_500wt_1415

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

A full 1/2 profile, a profile with a slightly more than 1/2 profile and a slight relief on the back of the leading edge or an undercut just  over 1/2 profile with a negative relief leading edge.
I have mostly used the 1/2 profile with no relief.
I have read the just over 1/2 profile with the negative relief usually gives the smoothest cut, have not actually tried it yet.

gitano

I don't have many under my belt, but those I have made for OTHER purposes than chamber reaming have been 1/2 cut, no relief. That is my intent with the chamber reamers.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

True.

So you went with fluted instead of "D", eh?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;120350True.

So you went with fluted instead of "D", eh?

Paul
Yeah and broke it too!
Too hurried was the problem, next time will anneal it too!
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

Can't imagine why it broke!!!!
There is a reason for annealing.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120354Can't imagine why it broke!!!!
There is a reason for annealing.

lesson learnt!

Truth is was just trying to finish quickly...had real jobs to do!

Next time an hour in the oven!!!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

Now Joe,

Are these nice looking projectiles for practice and range use?

Or are they those weally horrible and DANGEROUS expanding ones?

The range/practice ones are safe of course but those Expanders ......................................................................  you have to watch them or they will jump right off the bench and have you by the throat. Nasty little buggers you know.

They must be or why else would the powers that be get so het up about them? Simple folks like me just thought they were normal lumps of metal!  It took the experts in government and the Police to set us all straight on that and just how lucky we were not to have been attacked by those weally nasty little things.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Love the large meplat. Great looking bullet! I expect them to shoot straight and hit hard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: