Standard Cartridge Series - .300 H&H Magnum

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), November 22, 2004, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This is one of those really neat cartridges with a lot of history.  I only owned one (Remington Model 721) but could not get it to shoot.  It was so much of my early reading in my late teens that I associated it automatically with African hunting for many years.

Jay Edward (deceased)

This is what I always imagined (from reading) what an African plains rifle looked like.

CAfrica

Jay,

That rifle seems to have an excessive amount of drop at heel, which will make it kick a lot (obviously this rifle was designed for open sight shooting which explains the drop at heel). If that was in any kind of a heavy recoiling cartridge, it could become quite a handful.  Even for a 300H&H, I would prefer a straighter stock.

Personally I associate the raised cheeckpiece with later model rifles and would not associate it with the rifles of the "classic African era". I don't know if my perception is accurate though, do you know when these became De Rigueure? I thought it followed after those outrageous Weatherby stocks became the in thing.

I love this calibre and have it on my horison for "one day". We'll have to see though, the anti gun lobby are making great strides here.

regards.

C

Hunterbug

I would love one of these in a Pre '64 Model 70. I know someone who has one and it's a fine rifle.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Personally, I always liked the .375 H&H better than the .300. I genuinely prefer the recoil of the .375, plus it has a considerably larger bullet. I like that too. I have to admit that while I have owned .300 Win Mags, and .300 Weatherby Mags, I have never owned a .300 H&H.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

super 30

I always wanted a 300 H&H, but nobody builds an affordable one anymore. Six years ago I had one built on a 700 stainless action. It shoots a 180 grain Nosler at about 2980 fps with 72 grains of RL-22. It holds well under an inch (if I do my part) and has taken quite a bit of game. It hits hard, but not too hard. It has always been my favorite cartridge, and I would have no qualms taking it after anything but brown bear. I've guided in Montana quite a bit, and seen guys show up with these new irons. Some guys can handle them, most can't. I really can't see a need for anything in 30 caliber more powerful than a 300 Win Mag, no matter what the quarry is. I say a Win Mag because the old H&H is obsolete in every way but performance. Too bad.

sakorick

Quote from: It holds well under an inch (if I do my part) and has taken quite a bit of game. It hits hard, but not too hard. It has always been my favorite cartridge, and I would have no qualms taking it after anything but brown bear. I say a Win Mag because the old H&H is obsolete in every way but performance. Too bad.[/QUOTEHello Super 30. Why not a brown/coastal/griz?......Don't understand. IMHO nothing hits too hard. Welcome to the Forum....regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

super 30

Hi Rick. What I meant by the cartridge hitting hard but not too hard is it will not destroy a deer at 50 yards. Had a guy take a nice mulie buck once with a 300 Weatherby at about that range. A good thing that the horns were nice because that's about all that was left. Darn near tore the poor critter in half. Very liitle venison left.  As far as not using the H&H on the bears, I am sure that it would do the job very well so long as a guy could pick his shot. With a 200 grain Partition I think a guy would be O.K. but I would want another guy around with a bit bigger iron in case things got a bit rough. Having zero experience with big bears I guess my opinion is no good, but I would want a bit more lead to sling at something as stout and ornery as a brownie.

Noyb72

OK C time to start drooling.
My dream has always been to do a Safari with 2 rifles of classic African style in the H&H pair. If the Sabi I plan to hunt with in April is anything as nice as C says it will be, I just might have to have them nake my matched pair of Holland and Hollands up for me. What do you think.

super 30

Wow. If I read that right, noyb 72 is getting a matched pair of Holland & Holland rifles. If that is the case, you are a truly fortunate individual to have the means to do that. The closest I ever hope to get to a Holland & Holland would be to visit the shop in Britain, should that day ever come to pass. I applaud your choices of chambering as well. A 300 and 375 should just about take care of all your hunting demands. Forever. If W.D.M. Bell could collect all those elephants with small bores, I cannot see a problem with a 300 grain solid. I hear that the 375 is minimal for elephant, but I cannot see how. The elephant is no larger or tougher than he was 100 years ago, and if a guy can handle his rifle, he (or she) should never have a problem with a 375.

Noyb72

Not that well off SUper 30!!
Sabi is a South African gun manufacturer who is building me what I hope will be a superb bushveld rifle on a 98 ac tion. If the gun works out then I would consider having THEM build the matched pair of Hollands.
BTW On my next trip to SA we are swinging by London for a few days, Holland and Holland here I come.

CAfrica

NoyB,

You're right, I am totally envious.  What's more, I am convinced that you will be happy with your Sabi built rifle.  Give us some details on the specs you gave them for your rifle.  What style stock etc.  Did you select a local timber or go for the standard?

C

Tags: