Oops!

Started by Hunterbug, May 23, 2007, 10:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

So tonight I was sitting down stairs loading some shells for my 30-40 Krag to shoot on Sunday. I had to open a new box of Sierra .308 180gr RN for this loading session as I'd finished the last one. So I've got powder in the cases and a hand full of bullets and I'm pressing in bullets and admiring the beautiful shinney shells as they come out of my press. Suddenly I pulled one out and it didn't look right. The bullet wasn't seated to the cannelure and it had a flat point!:huh:  I haven't pulled it yet as my bullet puller is at my Grandfathers but I strongly suspect that some how a 150gr FP for the 30-30 got in the wrong box. I guess that'll teach me to pay closer attention to what I'm doing.:oops:
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;62548So tonight I was sitting down stairs loading some shells for my 30-40 Krag to shoot on Sunday. I had to open a new box of Sierra .308 180gr RN for this loading session as I'd finished the last one. So I've got powder in the cases and a hand full of bullets and I'm pressing in bullets and admiring the beautiful shinney shells as they come out of my press. Suddenly I pulled one out and it didn't look right. The bullet wasn't seated to the cannelure and it had a flat point!:huh: I haven't pulled it yet as my bullet puller is at my Grandfathers but I strongly suspect that some how a 150gr FP for the 30-30 got in the wrong box. I guess that'll teach me to pay closer attention to what I'm doing.:oops:

I reload around 22 or so different calibers......I only allow the shell, bullet and powder on the bench at one time. To do otherwise is a sorry mistake. When I'm done with a batch.....everything goes back to from whence it came. I have far worse stories (than Bug's) that I could tell from my younger days but it wouldn't add to the humilation. Thanks, HB, for the post......We all need a reminder now and again. Also, your reloading bench should be spotless......mine right now is a disaster area. I'm going to clean it tomorrow before I load another shell. The old adage about cleanliness is next to godliness sure comes into play here. At least HB had the guts to fess up and I applaud him for the post.:jumpingsmiley:  Regards, Rick
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Bug, you're not the only one to do something like this. It's better than putting a .313 diameter bullet in a .308 case or worse. It's not the diameter of the bullet that really matters but the case neck diameter. I never want to go through that again. Ruined a brand new barrel the first shot, not to mention the underwear and my heart. Stuff happens when we lose focus and it's not funny sometimes. ..............I don't want anything on the bench except what I'm loading either. Like Rick, I load something like 75 or 90 diffrent cartridges and it could be disastrous if too much went wrong...............Paul H

Hunterbug

This bullet had to have come from the factory as I don't reload for the 30-30 or have any flat point bullets. But now I do look at east and every bullet before I put it in the press. I can no longer assume that what's marked on the box is what's in the box.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Well I finally got around to pulling the bullet and it was a 150gr. I also counted the rest of the bullets in the box and there were 40. I loaded 59 180gr RN plus the 1 150gr FP plus the 40 remaining 180gr RN makes 100 bullets. But I did check the remaining bullets and they were all 180gr RNs.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Alboy

Might want to frame it, in my experience that is pretty rare.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: