0-06 Parker-Hale 1100 De Luxe, 3-9x42 Tasco Titan scope
0 (0%)
25-06 Parker-Hale 1200C, 6x40AO Apollo 5 Star scope
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 30, 2009, 04:01:59 AM

Brithunter

Hi All,

OK it's count down time, we have about 4 weeks to go before I go stalking :biggthumpup: the idea was to use the new 25-06 but until we get it sorted I have to consider my options so here are the contenders:-

1) .270 BSA Majestic Featherweight with 6x42 scope

2) 7x57 BSA CF2 with Pecar 4x40 scope

3) 6.5x55 Sporterised Swedish Mauser with Meopta 7x50A scope

4) 30-06 Parker-Hale 1100 De Luxe with 3-9x42 Tasco Titan scope

5) 25-06 Parker-Hale 1200C with the Apollo 5 Star 6x40AO scope

Edit:-

OK the 6x42 scope on the Majestic is a no name but has excellent optics and has been a good stalking scope since I brought it back in 98 :biggthumpup: .

The Tasco Titan was on this rifle when I acquired it and when I looked them up was suprised to find they cost almost as much as a Schmidt & Bender 4x42 did at the time. It seems clear, bright, but has a lighter reticle than I normally like for stalking.

The Apollo 5 Star was a line brought in by an Importer called Edgar Bros who were also the Sako importers, it's bright and clear but again it has a finer recticle than I normally like for stalking.

Just thought I would add some information on the scopes that you might not had heard of :smiley: .

Now the .270 and ammunition it's a toss up between the Rem 100 grain PSP handload and the Sierra 140 HPBT Game King handload both shoot to about the same POA at 70 yards.

In the 7x57 it's using Hornady's 139 Grn BTSP and is the laod I used back in 03 to take my Whitetails.

In the 6.5x55 it's Hornady's 129 Grn Spire point.

In the 3-06 is a choice between the Hornady 130 Grn Spire Point and the Hornady 150 grn Sp interlock bullet.

Of course the jury is still out on the 25-06 :o .
Go Get them Floyd!

Alboy

To my thinking the 6.5 is a proven round and glass in your rack. If a back up (carry two rifles) is in possibility then the 25-06 (on proofing ammo) or the 30-06.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Since Sika are on the agenda, I'd select the 7mm. The 6.5 would be a very close second. In my old age, when it's a tie, I select the larger diameter. As you know, there's no 'wrong' answer among those choices.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Ahhhh fellers the quarry in January is Roe Doe and Fallow Buck.

The Sika hunt if I can still wangle it will be next October during the rut and will be down South in Hampshire I think. The January hunt is a bit further North and quite a bit West of us here. Derbyshire is the county I believe that we will be hunting in but in our first phone conversation another county was mentioned so I need to check on that.

And Gitano yep your right they're all good options :biggthumpup: I didn't include the 6mm for that very reason as with the possibilty of Fallow Buck a larger diameter bullet sounds good to me :D .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: