"BOBWHITE" surprise

Started by buckshot roberts, December 23, 2011, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:grin:I went out rabbit hunting today and got a surprise, I had just lay'ed down my O'l A-5 and was step'n over an old barbed wire fence by a beire patch when a group of Bob Whites took to the air, I had not seen any before in this spot, the last time I took any of this type of quail has been
some time, and I was surprised to see them, I did maage to get a shot off in my wonderment an awe of seeing these birds, I took this one before

they got into heavy woods, I did try to flush out a few more before dark.
It's in the oven now slooow cooking,It well be nice to see one on the table
again,besides some "BOBWHITE SYRUP" and fer ya'll that's the south's
answer to log cabin......I'm home alone and going to have this nice bird with some chilled blackberry wine.......Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Alboy

First class meal makings there.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

same size as our woodcock!!! Nice looking little bird!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Actually, having hunted both, Bob-white are just a bit bigger than timber-doodles. The one in the picture above is probably this year's young. Woodcock are about the size of mourning doves as I recall both.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

Paul I'm @ a loss on the timber-doodles.........it was a very good meal, and what was realy good about it was I went out and took some game and made my evenintg dinner out of it, just like when I was little younger.........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Ron - "timber-doodle" = woodcock = Scolopax minor. A VERY cool little game bird.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

My Dad and I would take on occasion  woodcock when guail huntin' and also
another bird we called "snipe"....Similar to woodcock but lighter in color and
weight....Still dark-meated and our pointers would hunt and lock-up on all
three specie without hesitation.....all good eat'n.....................................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

Snipe and woodcock are closely related, but different genera. Both belong to the family Scolopacidae, but woodcock are Scolopax sp. and snipe are Gallinaga sp. We have Wilson's snipe (Gallinago delicata) in Alaska. They are good to eat. At least to my palate.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: