Colorado antelope

Started by JaDub, October 06, 2018, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

Had a great time with Hunterbug and Crack a Lope on the plains of NE Colorado.   Karl and I had tags and Hunterbug was our designated Sherpa/ guide. We both tagged out by 10:30 opening day and settled back for much needed r&r.  Great place to hunt with many opportunities for spot and stalk. Great finish to the day was Pat's killer liver and onions. AWESOME!!  Had a fun time but it was all over too soon. We're now sitting back enjoying a good shot of spirits looking forward to a great nite's sleep.

JaDub

More ......

JaDub

gitano

YeeHAA!

Congratulations!

Fresh liver! YUM!

Gotta be FRESH! Never frozen. Not more than 12 hours old.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Here's a picture of Karl with his antelope. She was down at 0705. The same time as sunrise.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

That is definitely antelope country!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

It's wide open out there for sure. Sometimes you see them way off and other times you get lucky.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

JaDub

My mouth salivates every time I see that picture of the frying pan.   Absolutely slow cooked goodness.

Paul, you`re right....  fresh, unfrozen.  Can`t be beat.

It`s your turn next week ! :yes:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I've decided to bring The Sissy Gun, my first wildcat. A 7mm bullet in 300 Weatherby case, on a model 700 Remington action set in a myrtle 'presentation' thumbhole stock. It shoots the Speer 115-grain HP like a laser. (And fast too!) I have taken a whole bunch of critters with that rifle including a nice muley buck and two pronghorns. So it should be 'right at home'.

Can't find picture of muley buck at the moment.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Looking forward to your arrival, Paul.  Interesting rifle to say the least.  With that kind of power and caliber I`d say nothing within 5 miles is safe.  :no: :grin:

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;151733Looking forward to your arrival, Paul.  Interesting rifle to say the least.  With that kind of power and caliber I`d say nothing within 5 miles is safe.  :no: :grin:

Not sure about 5 miles but 500 yards, YES!

gitano

You'd both be mistaken. With that bullet, (115-grain Speer HP), 350 is about max. It has a BC of only .250 and therefore, it carries 1000 ft-lbs of energy out to only 380 yds. The longest shot I have ever made with that rifle was 319 on a caribou. Wouldn't want to have to take that shot again. The bull went down with the second shot, which probably wasn't absolutely necessary as he was doing the "spin-around" thing, but I do not like "second shots". I'm hoping that 300 is the longest shot I'll be faced with. I did shoot a little bull caribou at about 260 once. He folded like a wet rag. But regardless, I'm not a "shoot 'em from the next county" kind of guy. If it's a REALLY big buck AND there is NO WAY to get closer, I will take a long shot. Circumstances will determine just how long "long" is.

I could put a bullet with a better BC in it, say the 140-grain Accubond with a BC of .485. Almost twice the aerodynamic efficiency of the 115-grain HP. That 140 carries 1700+ ft-lbs of energy out to 400 yd, and impact velocity is still 2350 f/s when started at 3088 f/s. I have a week before I leave. If I can find some 140 Accubonds I'll load some up and see how they shoot. Recall what I said about "knowing" the timing for every scenario once you have it for one bullet. I SHOULD be able to get very close, very quickly with another bullet (like the 140 Accubond) because I know what the timing is for the 115.

News at 11.

Paul

PS - It's not "11" yet, but there's good news anyway. The local Sportsman's Warehouse has two boxes of 140-grain Nosler Accubonds in 7mm caliber. :D I'm on my way to get at least one of the boxes. If I can get the 140 to shoot straight, I'll bring both 115s and 140s.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

I have 140 gr Accubonds and BT's on hand.....but wait, you can't drive over!!!!:Banghead:

JaDub

My last deer came at 150 yards.  I saw  a DANDY buck but my legs weren't ready to go that far away and certainly not the least important was getting him out.  I`d figure on up to 200 yards in Kremmling next week.

gitano

100, 140-grain, 7mm, Nosler Accubond bullets and one pound of Hodgdon Retumbo powder = $104. Not likin' the Nosler bullets very much. And that total included a 5% Vet discount. I'll explain the Retumbo later.

200 and thereabouts is a 'piece o' cake' with the 115.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I'll share this image here and then start another thread in "Reloading".

Like I said, this was my first wildcat. Plus, after my .270 Win was stolen, my next big game rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag. Plus... I built a 7x57 Mauser for my wife. So... I have most, but not all, of the 7mm bullets that were available back in the 70s and 80s. You can even see a box of Barnes' in there, but I got rid of the Barnes 195s. The twist of the factory 7mm Rem Mag could not stabilize that pencil. When I got my .338 Win Mag, I essentially quit reloading for my 7mms except for the occasional 7x57, or some experiment I was conducting.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

JaDub loved the liver.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: