New to archery..which arrows to get?

Started by bigsbetter, September 07, 2008, 03:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

You really should take your bow and arrows to an archery shop and have it 'set up' and tuned.

Really.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteYou really should take your bow and arrows to an archery shop and have it 'set up' and tuned.
this would probably be a good idea, may avoid a lot of frustration. Get it shooting right first and then learn how to tune, etc.... God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bigsbetter

OK I've got plans to go with my buddy to the range Saturday where he goes all the time. He's going there anyway because he needs to retune his bow for hunting instead of competitions. Thanks for all your help and input!
Work Hard then PLAY HARD!! and RUN what you BRUNG!!

Mauserfan in TX

D-ring = string loop. I agree with the rest of the gang, and you need to go to the pro shop and get your bow properly tuned . The process you need done is known as "broadhead tuning." When done properly, youe field points and broadheads will group the same. The process involves a proper paper tuning. Then the feild points and broadheads will be brought together by adjusting your rest and string loop(nocking point) until they are grouping as close together as possible. The final tweeking adjustments are then made by adjusting your sight. Broadhead tuning should be done @ a distance of about 20 yds. Hope this helps.:biggthumpup:
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

bigsbetter

OK I took my bow to the FAncy Shoot'n range and my buddy tok it to the back where I was not allowed, and tooki off the sight and put a laser on it to line something up. It's seems to shoot better but the arrows are 'cork screwing'. I didn't have enough time to mess with it anymore there. We paper tuned it a little and it was looking good for a couple shots. Everything was straight with just a little 'knock high'. But now at home the arrows are cork screwing, ESPECIALLY  with the broadheads on! They stick into the target at an angle! Any ideas? The bow is 29" draw and 62lbs. and shooting 29" arrow with 125 gr. tips at 152 F.P.S.

gitano

Sounds like the heads are too heavy for the spine of the arrows, or your fletching is buggered, or you're hitting your arm. Sumpin' ain't right, that's for sure.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Luke

tsjr13

if your using a peep sight make sure you us it all the time. i find myself sometimes forgetting to use the peep and me arrow goes all over the place

bigsbetter

Yep I'm using a peep. So far when target shooting I'm sure I allways use the peep, but it might be a 'lil different when there's a 10 pointer standing in front of me! It's not that my arrows are really going all over the place, but I can see them not flying straight and true. Can't really notice it at 20 yrds. but at 30-40 there's enough time to see the arrow bob tailing or flopp'n around some. As of right now I'm hunting with it the way it is, no time for more tuning. I can hit a pie plate at 40 yards. and sometimes 50. I just had my first archery hunting expierence tonight! Did not see anything.  Built a new stand today and need to do a little more clearing. On thing I notice about archery that's different than rifle season, is.... There's a lot more bugs that BUZZ in MY EAR!:stare:

Mauserfan in TX

tsjr13 is correct. Consistancy is crucial to obtaining good accuracy with a bow. your form, grip and anchor point must be the same with each and every shot . Any deveation in one of these factors will cause your arrows to impact in a different spot. jerking the trigger on your release will also cause accuracy problems. I also think that your bow is still not broadhead tuned. Keep at it , Rome was'nt built in a day.
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

davidlt89

I don't find it difficult to remember to use the peep sight, however, I have found myself on the wrong pin from time to time. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bigsbetter

Is a range finder a must have? I don't have one, so I thought about steping off 20, 30,40 yards and putting a marker in a few tree's in my shotting lanes so I would have a better idea of how far the shot was from my stand.

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: bigsbetter;83394Is a range finder a must have? I don't have one, so I thought about steping off 20, 30,40 yards and putting a marker in a few tree's in my shotting lanes so I would have a better idea of how far the shot was from my stand.

No, a rangefinder isn't a must have.  Estimating range is usually a big part of bowhunting.  You can also pace off the distances and put markers in, but do it ahead of time to avoid scenting up the place just before you hunt.

Markers don't usually work to well for me, since I don't usually stand hunt.  I like to spot and stalk, and it's more productive in most areas I hunt.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

As Daryl said, they certainly are not a must have, BUT, are very handy. I would recommend that if you do get one, spend the extra coins and get a good one. I like mine and it is good for ranging before anything is there, but the one time I put it on a deer to get the yardage, it would not range. It would range the grass in front of the deer, but would not range the deer. I was not happy with this. The good thing was before the deer were there, I had ranged all kinda spots and knew the distances all around me, so it worked out well. But to be honest, it would be better if you practiced and honed your own range finding skills. range finder is electronic and with any piece of electronic equipment there is always a chance of failure. God Bless.

bowhunter 51

Quote from: bigsbetter;83394Is a range finder a must have? I don't have one, so I thought about steping off 20, 30,40 yards and putting a marker in a few tree's in my shotting lanes so I would have a better idea of how far the shot was from my stand.

Dunno, ....never owned one....but, I have target practiced from my stands
to confirm my capability....breaking out a range finder in the presence of
deer inside of 50 yrds, never seemed practical to me....nor anything that
requires movement outside of drawing an arrow................................BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Tags: