Where do you put your cross hairs?

Started by sniper1, April 30, 2005, 07:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniper1

Lets have a bit of fun and see where each shooters preference lies when you have a perfect shot, if such a thing exists.  Lets say 50 yards on a standing elk or moose, broadside with a clear shot. Wheres your favorite shot, shoulder, heart, neck etc?.  

I'll start with mine.:rolleyes:
Under these circumstances, I will always take the head shot or neck shot, I dont eat the horns and seldom mount them so head shots are not a problem.  
If I am uncertain of my rifles accuracy, due to having dropped it or hit the scope hard, I'd go with the bigger shot behind the shoulder for the heart.  I find I have too much meat damage when I make shoulder shots.

Whats your favorite aim point and why.

m gardner

If the critter is in the open and there is no possibility of it running into a hellhole I shoot 1/3 of the way up the rear line of the leg. If it's in a place that I don't want it running off I use the high shoulder shot to break the top of the shoulder and spine and anchor the animal. I don't care if I ruin a little meat I don't like packing out of a canyon or off a treacherous slide. I've only shot elk, no moose and they have been far enough away that head or neck shots were out of the question. I've shot alot or deer there but at ranges under 50 yards. God bless and good hunting.

gitano

Anything but "behind the shoulder" simply doesn't come into my mind at 'the moment of truth' for a broadside shot. It's just not "in me". Head and neck shots are fine under the described circumstances, and I make no criticism of that choice. It's just that I go into "auto" mode when I acquire a game target. I pick a very specific point on the animal, and concentrate on that spot. Thinking about "choosing" a point of aim is inconsistent with my state of mind at that moment.

There have been times when I've had to recover an animal some distance away as a result of not having made a central nervous system or major skeletal shot. But those cases have been very rare. "Locking on" a uniform point of aim, and focusing on that has always served me well. It reduces the number of variables to consider when evaluating the whole situation.

I'll close by saying that a standing broadside shot is not what I consider the ideal presentation though.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

147 Grain

Found the following links that hopefully will be helpful to everyone:

Elk Anatomy Overview:  http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

In looking at an elk's circulatory system and bone structure, there appears to be two good spots to shoot for:

1.  Heart and Lung area slightly behind the front leg / near the top of the shoulder.

2. Spine / Base of Neck Area.  Following the forward portion of the front leg 1/2 to 2/3'rds up to where the neck meets the spine. There are a lot of major support bones in this area that when broken, should anchor the animal very quickly.
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

gitano

Thanks for posting those pics 147 Grain.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

147 Grain

Paul:

You're welcome!

I've got a long ways to go before my crosshairs catchup with your expertise!

Steve
* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

Nosler AccuBond

Hitekhunter

If I'm close enough for a head shot (within 125 yards) and I'm comfortable with the presentation (mine and the animal's), then I'll take the head shot (unless I plan on keeping the head).  If the animal is farther away I'll take the heart/lung shot.  The reason I like both these shots is that it usually kills the animal fairly quickly - and that, after all is my main priority.  I've let more than a few really nice animals (deer, bear, elk, and yes....even coyote!) go because I wasn't sure my shot was a definate kill shot.  I'd rather let the animal get away than take the chance of wounding it and having it suffer for hours or days or live crippled.

Phil
HitekHunter

Tags: