More Stoney Point Pieces

Started by gitano, July 20, 2023, 11:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Commensurate with gearing up to reload ammo for the rifles from Alain, I needed to make some components for the StoneyPoint bullet/chamber comparator. I did not have "custom cases" for the .270 Winchester, the .22-250 Remington, or the .444 Marlin. Since I don't have any cases for the .22-250 yet, (and attempts to make them from .308 cases have been futile :Banghead: ), I could only make the ones for the .270 and .444. Here's a brief essay on making those two 'custom' cases and the caliber-specific mandrel for the .444. I already had a factory anvil for the .270.

Starting with the anvil for the .444, here's one of the factory anvils. (This one is for the .416.):

Here's that factory anvil sitting atop the billet I am going to use to fabricate the new one:

The billet 'dressed';

First, centerpointing to drill through hole;

After centerpointing and cutting collar. (I forgot to take pictures;)

Drilling the through hole. Turned out, I had a drill that was exactly the size I needed - 0.424":

After the through hole is drilled, before the anvil is parted off:

After the anvil was parted off, cleaning up the chip left on the 'back side', (actually, the part that rests against the bullet ogive), after parting;

Here is the newly fabricated one alongside the factory version:

Now on to the "custom cases".

Mounted in the lathe, and drilling the 9/32" hole in prep for tapping with 5/16-36 tap;

First starting the tap using the tail stock to ensure perfect alignment:

Then, once in three threads, finishing by turning the tap, instead of the lathe chuck:

Close-up of thread cutting:

The two new 'custom cases':

Here's the anvil installed in it's holder, flanked by the new 'custom cases':

And finally, the new pieces 'deployed':

There's actually a .444 bullet in the 'custom case's mouth. That's the actual distance from the case mouth to the lands in the rifle. Not much 'throat'. But, that doesn't matter too much to me. If it becomes an issue with reloading, I'll get a throating reamer and extend the throat. Wouldn't be the first time. If I had used the .270 to take the pictures, the use of the comparator would have been more apparent. I suppose I should put together a tutorial on how to use the Comparator when reloading.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.