The Scope Carousel Continues ...

Started by klallen, October 24, 2011, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klallen

Quote from: TackyDriver;116757May all of the decisions you struggle with be so pleasurable.

without a doubt, these are the fun ones to wrestle with.

k

sakorick

Quote from: TackyDriver;116757 Rick, thanks for describing the twilight optic test. I agree that it's interesting. I guess I'll have to harvest a buck so I can have a rack for my own test purposes. What sort of background did you have behind the rack in your test?

Good question.....I taped a 8 point skull mount to the 100 yard target at a 45 degree angle.....the background was trees another 100 yards downrange.....looking East to West into the setting sun, overcast day. The Tasco was an old one made in Japan, the Burris was modern, the Leupy was the Vari-X II, and the Zeiss was a Conquest, assembled in the USA. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

klallen

funny coincidence     ...     just got the same e-mail promo the rest of you sci members did.  $150 off a zeiss purchase.  sweet !!!  could have changed things a bit.  the catch     ...     i gotta buy a new remington700 to get the deal.  what the heck?  lol.  horrible thing to pull on a feller looking for a scope.

k

Jamie.270

QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Noyb72

I have a Nikon 4x on my Savage 110 30-06. It is bright enough for hunting the dark winter rain forests in Washington and it's never hinted at fogging or leaking.

Ron

Brithunter

Hi All,

I had noticed that Remington offer, saw I come up on a banner whilst on the GBO forums and thought being me
:biggthumpup::-

That Remington perhaps are finally coming to their senses and offering decent optics.

Then of course the old me came out and thought:-

Perhaps it's the only way to keep selling those horrid 700's ;)

Either way you look at it I wish they would offer optics offers like that over here but nope not a chance :(. I am just purchasing a Used Lisenfeld 6x42 for a fairly good price. The price is good enough that if I ave to re-sell it I should make a small profit.

Meanwhile klallan go for the Zeiss Conquest ............................. after all you have not tried one of those yet have you :biggthumpup:

On the subject of the Titans ................... do you know what the set up is regarding that lone Dot on the lower cross hair?  I have a first model Titan 3-9x42 and it has this lone "mil-dot" a bit below the centre of the reticle. The second Titan is a later production and not as good in my view but it does have the nice German #4 or #7 reticle. That too is  a 3-9x42 one the turrets are totally different between the two models.
Go Get them Floyd!

klallen

while i don't have near as much against 700's as it sounds like you do, i have no real affinity towards them, either. 700 actions's for building on are awesome, of course. factory 700 rifles in and of themselves don't really strike me as anything overly impressive, in relation to what the action's capable of.

the zeiss conquest is indeed on the short list of new scopes i will be trying, in time.

i haven't looked into the titans for years, and when i was looking at them, there was so much confusion about them. they'd already been discontinued and lots of folks were confusing them with current (at the time) offerings because they'd simply never heard of them. drawing totally from memory, i believe they called that dot their ballistic drop point (bdp ???) and offered it with a german #4 reticle. i've never seen one and don't know exactly how tasco intended it to be used but would imagine it'd be real easy to set it up to correspond with your handload. if you ever get a pic of it, throw it up. i'd like to see it.

on topic, i bought the burris fullfield e1 4.5-14x42 the other day. it should deliver next week. once it gets here, we'll figure out which rifle it's going in. kind of a cluster there. the .270 did wear a leupold with 1" tube. the tasco titan from the .280ai was going onto the .270, but it's 30mm. and the new e1, that i wanted on the .280, of course, is 1". so if i stick with the original plan, new rings for each rifle will need to be purchased. and if i keep the titan on the .280 and have the e1 go to the .270, i'd have much rather saved the $150 and gone with the 3-9x. argh. wierd thing ... if anyone would have asked me at any time during this discussion, i'd have been able to tell them without hesitation, that the titan line of scopes had 30mm tubes. why it didn't dawn on me before this morning is beyond me. brain fart, i guess.

k

davidlt89

QuotePerhaps it's the only way to keep selling those horrid 700's
are you trying to get banned:greentongue:
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

buffalo bob

i have mostly tasco scopes.  cheap and reliable.  i would be afraid to take a $500 scope hunting, and that would defeat the purpose.  same for the expensive rifles with fine wood stocks.  worry about scratching it.  a rifle is a tool and should be utilitarian.  tasco makes what i consider a very sturdy scope. have never had one fail me.  

Brithunter

Ahhh Klallen,

I happen to have the early Titan here still so I just took theses photos:-

That's the early reticle. You can just make out the fine dot on the cross hair below the intersection. The mag was set on 6x where I usually leave it set. Now this is the adjustment turret:

Which looks identical to that found on my Schmidt & Bender 6x42 scope :confused:

Note on the windage one the indicator is right over to the right. A previous owner didn't fir the mounts correctly on the P-H 1100 Deluxe this came on and it still shot to the left  :huh2:.
Oh yes I just remembered that the occular housing witht eh zoom in it are different between the models the later one has a longer occular housing (eyebell) and mine has the German reticle you mention like this:-

I didn't have a photo of the Titan one so this is the reticle of a Lisenfeld but it looks the same.

Oh Bob when I checked out the prices of the Tasco Titan range before buying the P-H 1100 Deluxe with one fitted I was shocked to discover that they were only slightly cheaper in the UK than the Schmidt & Benders. The cost thing I do not understand as I'll bet you paid way more for your vehicle yet you drive that without thinking or worrying about it.
Go Get them Floyd!

klallen

the fullfield e1 4.5-14x42mm arrived today. some subtle differences here and there, but basically quite similar in size and design to a fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm :

i was going to switch out the odd-ball off-set weaver rings but they've just become part of this rifle :

it's kind of a homely thing, anyway. i suspected i was going to have to remove the raised rear site for the larger objective to fit but as it turned out having a comfortable, full fov there was plenty of room. on low power you can just see it (if you look for it) at the bottom of the scope picture. on higher power (where it'll be), it's not visable, so i just left it. the factory maple stock's what made this rifle interesting to me. up till purchase time, i'd not personally seen a savage come from the factory with maple :

this has always been a rifle i'd always planned to have something built on. it being a .270 was the downfall of the whole thing, in my opinion. i just can't come up with a game plan. so for now, i grudgingly own (and occasionally hunt with) a .270 . lol.

k

Jamie.270

Looks like it's "good to go" KL!
Waiting for the range report now,...

Considering your appetite for cartridges with "legs", I'm surprised you don't have a higher regard for the .270.

I KNOW of it's effectiveness on mulies and antelope, but I'll spare you the anecdotal evidence, as it would only be repetitive.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

klallen

evening, j.  not going to be to much for range reports with this particular savage.  probably none, really.  its 130 gr accubond load has been done for some time and killed a couple animals already.    worked fine.  i just stole it's darn scope.  get things zeroed with this new glass and it'll be ready to go again.

Quote from: Jamie.270;117134Considering your appetite for cartridges with "legs", I'm surprised you don't have a higher regard for the .270.  I KNOW of it's effectiveness on mulies and antelope, but I'll spare you the anecdotal evidence, as it would only be repetitive.

my dislike for the .270 really has nothing to do with it's ability to kill.  i've been plenty satisfied with it on whitetail and mule deer over on this side of the rockies.  maybe it's to common.  everybody's got one.  everybody's grandpa's got one.  lol.  maybe it's how it's presented today.  it was a speed demon when it was introduced.  now     ...     not so much.  yet it still seems to be touted as such.  who knows.  it just isn't a cartridge i gravitate towards when i reach into the safe to pull out a rifle for a day of hunting.  usually i have to force myself to take it when i feel it's squandered for to long.  and like i said, when i have had it and an opportunity's presented itself, it kills.  that's something i'll always give it credit for.

talk to ya later.

k

Tags: