what gun would you reccommend for a 30 06

Started by travelboy, January 01, 2005, 08:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

travelboy

I have decided that I want to buy a 3006 rifle.. but cannot decide on which manufacturer to go with. I have looked at:

the winchester model 70 featherweight.. but am not sure if this is still a good option to go with because it will be post 64

I have looked at Browning A bolt rifles .. the A bolt hunter and the A bolt Medalian.. I have been trying to figure out if the BOSS system really is a good deal.. I have also heard that the trigger pull on Browning rifles is good..

I have also considered Remington.. because of price... but don't know much about remington...

If you guys have any suggestions or comments please help me out..

Hunterbug

I would go with the Winchester Model 70 Classic. It's the same design as the Pre '64s. I'm not a big fan of either the Browning A-Bolt or the Remington. The Ruger 77 is another good choice.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

NUMBERFARMER

I am a big fan of the Ruger M77, but they do have a rather hefty trigger pull.  I believe most gunsmiths can smooth this out, or replace the trigger with an aftermarket affair.  I don't think that Ruger has corned the market on bad triggers though.  Most of the new guns that I have had in my hands had less than desireable triggers.

RumRunner

Quote from: travelboyI have decided that I want to buy a 3006 rifle.. but cannot decide on which manufacturer to go with. I have looked at:

the winchester model 70 featherweight.. but am not sure if this is still a good option to go with because it will be post 64.......................
QUOTE]

Well Sir, Picking a rifle for another man, is somewhat akin to picking a wife for that same feller....not something I would like to be involved in.

However, I do have some thoughts on the pre 64 / post 64 thingy.

It is my humble opinion that we are splitting the hair just a bit to fine when we get into these discussions.
We all "love" the quality, looks, feel, balance, of the older pre 64's. The thing that most of us find a problem with is the price the "collector status" has put this gun into. Bear in mind that I said "collector" not shooter, or hunter, but the all mighty dollar.

The Model 70 Classic of today is not the same rifle it was from 1965 until 1980, or there abouts......it's a whole new ball game.
I have owned several pre 64's over the years, probably a lot, by some standards. But when someone is shoving $800, $900, or a $1,000 at me for a $300 gun, it is hard to turn that kind of money down. It's his decision! Just like it will be your decision when the time is right.

You owe it to yourself to check out the new model 70's. Hold it, carry it, shoot it, (if you can) then make your decision. You may find they are a pretty nice gun, even by yesterday's standards.

I would never say the whole thing about the pre 64's is pure Hog Wash, and you should forget it, because I have been in the very shoes you are in right now. It's a decision that only you can make.

But still yet...check the new model out....you just may like what you see.
BTW, the 30-06 in the featherweight, is a real handfull!
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

sprtsmn

I love my TIKKA T3 and I am buying another one.  Fits and ponits great, MOA, great adjustable trigger, awesome price, icludes rings, Sako made barrel...what is not to like?

Rohann

It depends on what your price range is. How much can you spend on this rifle?

-Rohann

Tags: