whats a good dog for ruffed grouse

Started by davidlt89, February 26, 2007, 09:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Jay,
   I think I would try rabbitrunners poodle idea first!!!!!!!!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

It seems Gordon setters are the oldest  breed of bird dogs and I know they are extremely intelligent and have a natural instinct to  hunt birds. The one I had was a city pup but the first time out with her she wanted to fetch doves. She would sit until I told her it was ok to go. She brought every bird and dropped it at my feet and sat down. When I dropped a starling, and told her to pick it up, she went to the bird and sniffed it but wouldn't touch it. She was the most amazing dog I ever saw. She had never been trained.

My father trained his rabbit beagle to find and point grouse. It also retrieved the ones he shot. You can train most any dog to hunt birds, providing it is a hunting dog............Paul H

davidlt89

Paul,
   never heard of gordon setters, I will investigate more. I had a half german shepard, half labrador dog growing up. Believe the correct term is "Mutt". had her for 15 years until my dad and step mother felt that she should be put down because I left for the Navy. Anyway, she occasionally killed a grouse or two, probably could of trained her from what you are saying. Thanks for the advice, God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

David, I'm surprised you never heard of Gordon setters. They are supposedly the oldest breed of bird dogs in the world. Specifically developed in Scotland for grouse and imported to this country. They are extremely intellligent, loving and obidient. I don't have a full body pic of "Critter" but note the intelligent look in her eyes.........Paul H

Tags: