Problem Hogs Cure!

Started by rockinbbar, April 07, 2014, 05:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Take a VMax, and call me in the morning!  :thumbup1:

Been having lots of hogs tearing things up around here lately. Caught a big boar on game cam tearing up my deer feeding area, and he can eat a 40 pound deer block in 2 nights...

Aside from tearing up the roads, they mess up anyplace they go.  :mad:

I've been needing to address the problem more seriously than I have, but with the heart attacks and hospital stay, I didn't get on it as soon as I wanted to. But, now that I am feeling a bit better, Buster and I are putting a dent in them again!

The first boar was about 250 pounds and the Vmax in the ear didn't do him any favors.

The new green Coyote Light, with the red mounted for shooting made a great combo. He never saw us.

The next evening, I shot a bigger, older boar at 150 yards. Hit him right between the eyes as he was facing me.

Of course Buster has to get his "hog killing" in when I shoot...

I'm very careful to be sure of my shots before I let him go in on a hog. He's already been down the road of being seriously injured by a javalina. Didn't need a repeat performance of THAT.

Third one was a big, mature sow. It came a couple of days after the last boar. She was crossing a sendero about 140 yards out. Had my rifle in my hands, but no rest... Took the offhand shot and hit the sow in the ear! :)

Just got back from feeding and noticed I had MORE hogs working the place again...
About the time you think you have things calmed down a bit, more hogs move in and you are right back after them!

Oh well.

I needed the distraction with everything that's been going on, anyway. :)

Thanks for looking!

~Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

sakorick

Totally awesome.....outstanding. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

An AR, a few V-Max, a great canine companion, and a smokehouse.

What more (aside from a good knife) does anyone need?!?

Nice shootin' Barry!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Great photos, Barry! Thanks for posting some HUNTING stuff!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Well now, Barry.......

Sounds as though you need to host the " First Annual Hunter`s Life Pig Pop Festival" !   Tell me when and where and I`ll be glad to help cull the pig population.   Why, I`d even let you fill your freezer !  8-))  

JaDub

recoil junky

Sounds like a hoot to me! Give old Buster a rub behind the ears for me, he deserves it.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

Good job, Barry & great pictures. Sorry to hear about your health problems. Been having it pretty rough the past couple months myself. Warm weather here will help. Keep up the good work. ......Paul H

Hunterbug

Very cool! And good shooting.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

davidlt89

Quotebut with the heart attacks and hospital stay, I didn't get on it as soon as I wanted to.
Enough excuses Barry!!!!!;)

Way to get on them!!!! are you going to eat them? I am "hog illiterate", but I have heard they are good eating.
Quotemore hogs move in and you are right back after them!
sounds like you are going to have plenty of fun and buster will be right in heaven:biggthumpup:
Looking forward to more dead pigs!!!!

I have heard hogs are pretty tough, according to the "experts" the v-max my not be the right choice of bullet!!! I think you have proved that wrong:biggthumpup: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Good stuff as usual Barry, keep them coming.  That's a lot of chorizo.  Good to see Buster is still doing well.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Thanks for the comments guys!

David, I shoot a 55 gr. VMax out of that particular rifle, and just don't care to re-sight it for doing a bit of hog hunting. That being said, the bullet in question is certainly NOT the best choice for hogs for sure.

I have shot many hogs with the bullet, and when you put it in their ear, or between the eyes, nothing kills them quicker. ;)
I did shoot a couple in the neck with the same results. But, if you try and make a heart or lung shot on a hog, they WILL run after being hit. They will die, but not right there on the spot, so I limit my shots to the DRT zone.

I have my Savage 10FP in .223 sighted for 64 gr. Winchester Lawman Power Point ammo. Now, that bullet is a different story on boiler room shots. I have killed several with a shot through the boiler room, and they are DRT... :) A good hog bullet for sure.
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Tags: