Wrong Bullet Application!

Started by rockinbbar, May 26, 2014, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

And I know it, but use them anyway. :)

I think there was some discussion about my use of 55 gr. V-Max out of my .223 on hogs.

Knowing it is the wrong bullet to use, but hating to really re-zero for a different bullet, I just keep shooting hogs with what I predator hunt with.

It works, but everything is the old cliché "bullet placement"...

This hog I shot at 125 yards in the neck. Hog down kicking... didn't even blink.

I made the skull a quick bleach job after recovering it from the bone pile.

The next two were recovered only for my study and interest of the end results of headshots with the V-Max.

Hog on the left was 125 yards and shot broadside in the ear. Hog on the right was about 140 yards...facing me. Shot right between the eyes.

As you can see, it doesn't leave much to work with if you want to save the skull. ;)

I shot a sow awhile back that had 3 piglets of weaning age. They stuck around. I found them a couple days ago and let my dog, Buster go after them. Not much past 100 yards he had a small boar bayed and held. He'd already drawn blood in the rear. I put that one down with my Ruger .22 I was packing.

This last picture is from last night. It shows I still have more work to do... Made me mad because the 40# deer block I put out yesterday evening was GONE this morning.!

Gonna have to get some bacon for all those deer blocks... :)

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

22hornet

Wrong bullet? If they worked then I would say right bullet!
 I use 55gn Nosler BT's in my .223 and have no trouble putting down pigs in the past. Why would the v-max be any different?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

rockinbbar

There are better and heavier bullets for shooting hogs, is the general consensus.

I know I have had to make rush shots on hogs exceeding 100 pounds and generally shoot them behind the shoulder, and hear the gratifying "meat report" and watch them run into the brush. I generally prefer them DRT. But since, I have learned to take my time and use one well placed one that will anchor a hog, no matter the size, right there.

There are more differences in a Nosler Ballistic Tip and a Hornady V-Max than one might imagine as well.

The BT bullet has a much thicker jacket and isn't hear as explosive at slower speeds.... like those out of a .223. You have to push it faster to get the violent explosive action out of a BT bullet. 22-250 velocities push it to that.

Out of a .223 at say 2800 realistic fps, the BT bullet mushrooms or doesn't open evenly because of the thicker jacket. The same velocities pushing a V-Max bullet result in uniform, rapid expansion and fragmentation.

If you push the V-Max faster, it won't give much penetration at all, and will likely result in splashing, and huge entrance wounds with not much bullet/fragments making the needed trip to vital areas.

recoil junky

Here's a picture of a 40 grain BT and one ea. of a 40 grain Zmax and Vmax that I sectioned out of curiosity.

I've experienced what RBB is talking about with the BT's while shooting prairie dogs with both 55 and 40 BTs out of my old worn out 788 in .223. As you can see, the the BT is "mostly jacket" where the V/Zmax bullets are mostly lead core. What I'd like to see is a what 110 grain Vmax (3800 est, fps) out of my 300RUM does to a decent sized porker, at any range say out to 250 yards. Talk about your gratifying "meat report" :jumpingsmiley:

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Great post Barry!!!! what would it take for a man to get one of those hog skulls sent to him? what is your method of bleaching? God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

rockinbbar

Nice work, RJ... !

I have the sections from the company graphics, but that is all. Glad to see the interest and expertize at work.

David, I can send you one. I just need to get one that have not shot in the ear and ruined. ;)

I'll try for a neck shot again if I get the chance and put your name on it.

I just let the buzzards and insects pick em for a couple of weeks. Then soaked overnight in hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then dry out and after dry, I soak overnight in bleach and water and let dry and rinse off. No smell at all. Nice and clean. Dawn takes the grease out of the bone. It needs it...

gitano

Most folks know my sentiments on Light For caliber (LFC) bullets, but this isn't an LFC bullet. 55 gains is a "normal" weight for .223 Rem. It is of course - by "general consensus" - too small for pigs. "The proof is in the pudding" as they say. Ol' John used to swear by the .223 Rem for Texas whitetails, IF shot in the neck or head. It takes discipline and skill to make those shots consistently, but for those with the discipline to NOT shoot and the skill to CONSISTENTLY hit where they think they are pointing, there aren't too many "wrong" choices for bullets.

Paul

PS - I'm in the Kansas City airport, and Photobucket is "blocked" due to "unethical" content. PC sons of bachelors.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteDavid, I can send you one. I just need to get one that have not shot in the ear and ruined.
that would be awesome barry!!!! I am hopefully doing some skulls today!!! I have a friend who brought his deer head over about 3-4 weeks ago and I put it in the ground. Going to boil today and hopefully do up a european mount for him. I also have a coyote and muskrat skull to get white!!!! Hog skull would look good in the collection!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: