My No.4 Mk1.

Started by 22hornet, July 14, 2010, 08:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

22hornet

My No.4 Mk1 rifle.

Serial numbers don't match, barrel is a two groove but the rifle is in pretty good condition. Much better than I have seen latey.

Its got the adjustable rear sight.

And it can shoot too! All these targets were shot a 50 metres using a 6 o'clock hold on the black centre.

A load of 38gns AR2206 with a 150gn Hornady SP.

41gns of AR2208 (Varget) with a 150gn Hornady SP.:MOGRIN:

My cast load using a 180gn GC, without the GC, and 11gns AP70N. Some verical stringing here, but I think that was just me! (Sorry the photo is side on!)

Even 5 rounds rapid fire using the battle peep was good.

I've loaded up some cartridges using my Lee Loader, 39.5gns of AR2208 150gn Hornady SP, next trip to the range I'll see how they go.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

branxhunter

Nice looking rifle hornet.

That second group - the 41 gns of AR2208 - its a beauty!

Marcus

Fieldmor77

That's a nice one Hornet, there are quite a few around at the moment, nothing wrong with that  two groove barrel.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

22hornet,

That is certainly a nice example of a WW2 S.M.L.E..  Around 1957 there were many here stateside being sold as surplus.  I purchased my first one while still in high school for $15usd.  A year or two later, I obtained one of the so-called #5 "jungle carbine".  Good memories of those rifles except the #5 was a real "kicker".  Empty quart oil cans were in real danger up to 75-100 yards.

Enjoy!

Ol' John...:Banghead::sleeping:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

gitano

Very nice piece! and nice shooting!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Hornet, you have a keeper there. Congrat's. .....Paul H

sakorick

Beautiful. Who made it? Did it ever go through FTR? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

Quote from: sakorick;106891Beautiful. Who made it? Did it ever go through FTR? Regards, Rick.

No idea who made it. There are very few markings on it. I'm guessing that maybe someone just assembled it from parts.
I'll photograph the stampings and post them to see if you can make anything from it.

But, regardless,  it does shoot well. :2thumbsup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

22hornet

Rick, some more pics to see what you can make of it.

Some serial numbers? Above is stamped " M. 1943 "

Stamped on the barrel "SURREY"

And some more stamps on the barrel near the action.

I cannot find anything to indicate that it has been FTR'd. As I mentioned before I think this rifle has been made up from parts.

LvrLover

What a piece of junk! Send me that worthless thing and I'll melt it down for scrap. I won't charge you a thing.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

gitano

I think the "AL" on the butt socket indicates it was made in Alabama. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Quote from: gitano;107323I think the "AL" on the butt socket indicates it was made in Alabama. :)

Paul

I think that is my name and it should be returned to immediately:sweetheart::D
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jorge in Oz

Nice rifle and some good shooting. Its in really good nick dude.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Quote from: Alboy;107325I think that is my name and it should be returned to immediately:sweetheart::D

I shoulda thought of that... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Sorry.....the AL is a Luxembourg stamp. Looks like that SMLE got around in life. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

22hornet

Ha! If it was Alboy's rifle that would make it easier to track down!

Luxemburg? I didn't even know they used No.4's? Interesting.

Tags: