metal target

Started by JaDub, July 22, 2016, 02:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDub

I finally decided to make a metal target.  After considering many options I decided on a galvanized frame for simplicity and a 20" square 3/8"  400 alloy  hanging target.  Yes, 500 alloy  might be better but the price difference was a consideration.  The frame is finished and I`ll be hanging the target next week.  More to follow.

gitano

For what it's worth, I think a slight down-angle reduces 'nagging thoughts' of bullets coming back at me. Especially small-caliber ones.

Looking forward to pictures.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I have plans for a 1000m x 750mm hardox 500 backing plate 15mm thick.
I will slide the plate into a frame that will angle down and support a target board in front.
It will prolly need wheels and a tow hitch at 88kg (195 lbs.)

Good luck with yours jadub!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

AR400 works for metal targets quite well. It will show "craters" with bullets fat high velocities, but out past 200 yards there's just a splash from even the 300RUM. Cast bullets don't even faze it. T1 is most excellent for metal targets.

As Paul says, a slight downward angle is good for hanging targets. If your targets "tip over" then turn them slightly so the bullet strike is angled.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

I`ve figured a way to hang the plate so it will have a downward - back angle.   Very simple.  Hoping to pick up the plate Monday or Tuesday..........  drill a couple of holes and ..............  Wallla !!   I`ll take a few pictures and include them in my next post.  They ARE proud of AR500  !!!!!!!!  :p

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Easy way to get a tilt for hanging is use a couple of eye bolts in the back of the plate and use them to hang the plate.

Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Can't see second two pictures.

Can't even talk about getting metal up here. If they don't have it in stock, you have to take out a second mortgage for shipping. Dudn't matter if it is aluminum or steel.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

recoil junky

Nylon wedding (as in lifting or tie down straps) works better. It doesn't seem to care if it gets shot. Weld a couple 3/8" bolts to the back and melt some holes in the webbing and presto.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Nylon "wedding" - webbing maybe?

Lotta lazy fingers around here lately!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

gitano

Not buying it. Anybody that can spell dyslexic, can't be. :p

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I'm using some conveyor belt from a checkout till to hang my gongs, good stuff !
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

Quote from: j0e_bl0ggs;145584I'm using some conveyor belt from a checkout till to hang my gongs, good stuff !

What's a checkout till?
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

When you are at the grocery store, the conveyor belt that moves your groceries toward the checkout "cash register" AKA "till".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;145580Not buying it. Anybody that can spell dyslexic, can't be. :p

Paul

lessdixik then

:MOGRIN:

RJ

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Jadub, I'm anxiously awaiting the first kaBOOM . . . . . . . WHACK!

RJ

JaDub

RJ,

Yea, me too. The plate should be ready for pick-up in the next day or two.  Then I`ll need to drill a couple of holes, a bit of paint and it will be done.  Then, unlike you RJ, I will have to find a place to shoot.  No where really close.............

gitano

Don't know if 'you guys' know about these guys, but I have used them, and they haven't ticked me off: http://stores.ebay.com/shootingtargets7?_rdc=1 yet. :D Cheapest prices I can find for pre-fabbed pieces. Ship fast (and cheap to AK). Seem like square shooters. But you know how that goes; as soon as you praise some business, they rear their 'stupid-head'. Anyway, just a link and caveat emptor.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

AR400 drills pretty easily IF you do a pilot hole first and use cobalt bits. HSS bits work if they are really sharp and you have extras.

RJ

gitano

Quoteand if you have extras
:MOGRIN:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

First picture of my new target. The frame is made out of simple galvanized and threaded water pipe. Target is a piece of 20"X20" AR400 3/8" steel plate. The hanging hardware is pretty simple as you can see. It allows the target to hang at a 13 deg angle or more if needed . I`ve got about $125 in materials. I simply painted the plate which is easily touched up when needed. Of course I can use either side and it`s easily grindable to restore any cratering marks.   I can easily change to different sized targets in a matter of minutes.

gitano

Looks good! I like the frame. Probably pretty stable even in a stiff breeze. :D You wrench-benders are a pretty smart lot.

I assume 100yd will be your minimum range. With a little of that native ingenuity you could rig a simple paper-hanging (paper target) holder to go with that frame. Wouldn't want to shoot up the steel plate just as backing.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Well now, Paul.  I hadn`t even thought about how easy it would be to hang a piece of cardboard on it with or without a paper target taped on .  Another option !   :)

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Bit of ply board and staple targets to it.
Turvey Stalking

sakorick

Looks like you have a fast one hiding in the garage?

gitano

I don't think JaDub drives
Quoteanything
that isn't 'fast'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Interesting you say that ............ People often ask what I drive on the street thinking it must be a Corvette , Porsche or some such hot rod. I gave up driving `fast` on the highway 40 years ago when I realized how dangerous it was , especially given the lack of safety and the other morons around me ( present company excluded of course ) . I discovered I could be safer and have much more fun on a safely designed racetrack, with a much safer car all the while being surrounded by professional drivers all being looked after by trained on-hand medical staff.

I will say.........given the offer, I do get to drive lots of fast equipment .......... on the race track.

What DO I drive  ??                  ...........a Toyota 4 Runner. :2thumbsup:

gitano

QuoteI gave up driving `fast` on the highway 40 years ago when I realized how dangerous it was , especially given the lack of safety and the other morons around me ( present company excluded of course ) . I discovered I could be safer and have much more fun on a safely designed racetrack, with a much safer car all the while being surrounded by professional drivers all being looked after by trained on-hand medical staff.

Coward! :D

I gave it up when I realized you can't outrun radio waves. Even with a 'Vette.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Yep.......... I`ve become a PUSS extrodinare!

I will admit to you....... just you Paul, that in my younger pre-race car driving days  ( some 45 years ago )I managed to out run a radio equipped Sherriff in my Porsche. That`s just between you and me mind ya. :cool:

gitano

:lipsrsealed:

Today, they'd launch a gunship and just kill you because they felt their "lives were in danger".

I just realized that by virtue of my mother-in-law's recent passing, I now one one of each of the following: Toyota, Ford, Nissan, and Dodge. Here's the irony. I kinda 'like' Chevys. I just never let "like" get in the way of a good deal. :D Except in guns. :COOLdude:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Well anyway it has the look of a fast Datsun. I owned a 260Z and still wished I owned that car. It was painted BRG and had brown leather interior, it was fun and economical. I sure would like to own a 280ZX just for fun!

JaDub

Zs are truly fast enough, fun and affordable.  The ZX in the last photo belongs to my wife.......  `82 with 46,000 original miles on it.  It`s a great highway cruiser. It`s been in the family right off the showroom floor.

sakorick

Quote from: JaDub;145718Zs are truly fast enough, fun and affordable.  The ZX in the last photo belongs to my wife.......  `82 with 46,000 original miles on it.  It`s a great highway cruiser. It`s been in the family right off the showroom floor.

Oh sure, and you never drive it!!!!!!:MOGRIN:

JaDub

Well, yeah.  Somebody`s got to blow the carbon out of it once in a while.   :laugh:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Waiting for you to knock some paint off of the plate...
Turvey Stalking

JaDub

Probably gonna be a while.   With the racing season in full swing I hardly have time for a breath.  `Course if I could shoot out my back door like so many of you, I would not have an excuse.  :o

Tags: