Muskrat season

Started by davidlt89, October 26, 2015, 03:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Yesterday was the beginning of early muskrat season here in Maine. I slept in till about 6:30, got up and had some coffee, and saddled up!!! It was raining to beat the band and 40 degrees when I left, needless to say, I was dressed appropriately.;)

First place I headed to was my friends land that I trap every year, he has his house up for sale right now, so this might be the last year I get in there. I brought two foothold traps and two colony traps down to the little pond. When I got to where I usually set for rats, there was hardly any water at all. There is a nice travel way that I usually set that had maybe 4" of water in it.

I was pretty discouraged and was not gonna set but then my eye caught a fresh push up so I thought I would give it a try. I found a place that had about 6" of water and I dug down an inch so my 7"x7"x24" colony would be completely submerged and legal. I literally set this to just have something set.

I then made my way to the other end of the pond and same deal...my otter spot was dry and hardly any water anywhere else down there. So I noticed some nice big rocks on shore and I made a "rock tunnel", lured the inside and set a foothold down in front of it and I left. I thought about some beaver traps but thought I would just concentrate on muskrats.

I left there and set 4 culverts that a friend showed me about 2 weeks ago. He has been trapping those spots for over 25 years and they were some of his tried and true mink/muskrats spots. He moved to florida a week ago and wanted to pass something on to a young, green, trapper like myself;)

I set the 4 culverts the way he showed me and i headed back home. I did some exploring behind my house this year. There is a set of railroad tracks about a 100 yards through the woods, then 30 yards to the river. There is a string of 3 ponds back there and I got to watch some rats this summer. I headed back there with two foot holds, one colony trap, and two 120's with stabilizers.

I ended up putting in two blind sets where the rats where coming up on shore and I stuck a colony trap in a beaver "swim way" they had made to get wood to the pond. They are very active back there.

So today after work I headed out for my first checks....It was nice to check traps set for animals I could keep;)

I went to my friends first and checked my canine traps then cut out the end of the little pond to check the foothold I had in, it had a rat in it. I collected it, reset, and headed to the colony trap I had just dumped by the pushup with hardly any water.
Long story short, there were six rats jammed into a 24" colony trap.

I know that probably doesn't mean much to someone who does not trap, but this is a near impossible feat!! I have no idea how they could of all crammed in there. One of them had his head forced through a 1/4" opening where the door is, his jaw was dislocated. To sum it up, I could not of got them all back in there if I tried!!!

So left the first spot with seven rats and went on a culvert check. None of the culvert sets scored so I headed home to get on the four wheeler to check out back.

I walked up to the first blind set with the 120 and it had a rat by the back foot, he was alive and he was not happy. I grabbed the weight the trap was tied to and threw it in deep water and went to check the other 120...it was untouched.

I got on the railroad tracks and headed to the colony trap. I figured the beaver would have it all messed up, which they did! BUT, not before it got two rats! I collected them and went back to the one I threw in the deep water. Apparently it was not quite deep enough because he got his nose out of the water. I grabbed my setters and helped him along. Got him out of the trap, reset, and went home.

So I landed 10 rats on the first day with 9 sets, not bad. I have to thank God for this one because it certainly is not my ability;)

Let the trapping begin!!!!!! full season starts sunday, getting the fisher sets out and beaver!!! God Bless.

Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Wow!

I've never used a 'colony' trap for muskrats. Amazing how well it worked!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

farmboy

davidlt89

I have an even 20 right now. I may pull most of those traps this week on thursday. Got out 6 fisher sets today...what a pain with the new exclusion devices we have to use. I spent 4 hours getting them ready last night for just 6 of them...and 4 more hours today getting them attached to buckets with bait and getting them out. I also got out 2 beaver sets. God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

davidlt89

Oh....and an otter set that could produce a mink.

gitano

Shiite muslims! But...

It's worth it, or ya wouldn't do it, and you know it!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Getting a lot of muskrat.

davidlt89

Picked up 5 more today! I am just starting to tap the pond out behind my house, it is a trappers haven. I have found another one stop shop!
Yeah Paul....I like it! God bless.

farmboy

When you get to forty it will remind me of a Canadian joke my dad used to tell.

drinksgin (deceased)

David, I have heard (Swamp Rabbit) is a menu item in some north central states.
As it is a vegetarian animal and does not self baste with pine needles or rosemary, I would at least try cooking some, Might do well fried or in a good,  thick stew..
Betcha my GM could have done something with some.
I had to resort to really underhanded tactics with a 14 year old bottomless pit of a girl cousin when we were both at GM's and a small squirrel stew was on the table, I had to tell my cousin it was an aqueus decoction of arboreal rodent to make sure I at
least got the first pass at the stew.
I was SORRY!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: