Pics of found antlers...

Started by rockinbbar, April 04, 2005, 04:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockinbbar

Picked these up the other day. Had to carry the whole thing to my truck...a 1/4 mile away. I don't see how they carry them on top 1/2 the year.
It must feel like a burden has been lifted when they shed them..;)

Gross B&C score is 358.

Width- 44 1/2 inches

Main beam- 46 1/2 inches

Not a bad 7X6 bull.

Looked like the coyotes had drug the head a way....I looked for the rest of it, but it wasn't anywhere close. (I wasn't gonna walk off & leave em for the next guy to come by & pick up, or let the rats & porcupines eat it..)

Thought ya'll might enjoy seeing these.
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Jay Edward (deceased)

Cool Rockin...now if you'll just bring them by I'll start cutting them up into buttons.:D

Ok, ok...knife handles.

Sheesh!  Very well, we'll put 'em on a plaque and hang 'em in your den/living room.  But they're a fire hazard...I'll store 'em for you if you want.

Kind of funny...the sheds I'd like to get my hands on are Moose.  Not complete antlers, but just pieces big enough for cutting out inlays for various projects.  A flat surface is hard to find on most antlers and the core is reached so fast.  Finding antlers (not in use) with the bases big enough for forend tips is another problem...especially when you want to form a schnabel.

Anyway...great looking find.

Antler3

Great find ! Well worth the 1/4 mile tote in my opinion ;). Thanks for sharing those. Will you be watching for the bull next year ?
ANTLER 3

rockinbbar

Jay, I find all sorts of antler bits & pieces here & there while I'm out surveying. Let me know the kinds of things you are looking for, & I'll send ya some.

Antler,

If you'll notice in the pics, the antlers are conected....The old bull didn't make it. I have my eyes on several around here that I see from my deck, though. ;)

I had to use the chainsaw to cut off the antlers on this one, as the skull was pretty badly chewed up. I also only got one of the ivory teeth. He either lost the other due to old age, or the scavengers got it out somehow.

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Antler3

Yep you are absolutely right Rockin' That ol' bull ain't gonna be around next year ;). They have just introduced the elk back into our area. They are mainly down on the Buffalo river park range. About 7 miles from us. The main heard is on up the river though probably 20 or 30 miles. They have been having permit hunts for a few year now but not many are given out so far. They say the herd is growing and doing good. Hopefully one day soon we'll be able to hunt them like we do the whitetail now :D.
ANTLER 3

m gardner

Sweet!!!! God bless and good hunting.

Gmoney

Now that's a bull......was that right behind your place?
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Daryl (deceased)

Nice find, buddy!

I'm glad you hauled 'em out so we could see 'em! :D  Could be me and Janelle will make it by there in the near future so's we can see 'em up close.  ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: