Father's day rifle

Started by farmboy, June 19, 2016, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

A few years ago I started a new tradition that perhaps all of you should participate in. I started buying myself a rifle for Father's day. This year I purchased a savage 93-22 BSEV bolt action  rifle in 22 Winchester Magnum. I mounted a vortex Rumford scope on it in Burris zee rings. First off I don't care for the Burris zee rings. I twisted off three bits to get the one ring tight to the base. They seem all right mounted so I guess I will know in the long run they just did not start out to good. The vortex give a more clear view than the Leopold rimfire scope I have on the HMR but more aboration on the edges but also what seems a larger field of view. Now on to the rifle I setup a target to sight the rifle in. I pinned it to a large round bale ( they make real good backstops if I had a ******** baler instead of a soft core I don't think I would ever have a bullet go through) and paced if twenty five yards. I rested the gun on a tractor tire. I was shooting hornaday 30 grain ballistic tip bullets. Three shots and I had it centered. I then shot a one hole three shot group. And I do mean one hole shot one and two were in exactly the same hole and number three made ever so much bigger than 224. I raised the cross hair up an inch and a half and then went and shot a couple of pigeons. The first one lost his head and number two turned into a cloud of feathers.  Quite happy with this year's Father's day present to myself.

I decided to swap out both Henry rifles I have one in 22 mag the other in 17 HMR.  This savage certainly out shoots the Henry 22 mag and the other one is as good or perhaps just slightly better than the heavy barreled Henry in 17 HMR.

gitano

Without pictures, it never happened. :D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

http:// the hole in the orange has three shots to it the low shot to the right was adjusted up and the single shot to the right was adjusted to the left and there are three bullets through the orange spot.

gitano

Wow! Good swap! And nice shootin'!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Picture of the gun....dead pigeons???? DUDE!;) God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

farmboy

farmboy

Then hornaday ballistic tip bullets  have changed my view on the 22 Magnum. The HMR was doing way more quick kills than the Magnum on gophers but with these bullets I am getting similar damage to a small center fire rifle. The Winchester jhp were much better than the copper washed bullets but nothing like these hornaday ballistic tip bullets. Another thing I found interesting was the same lot of ammo in the HMR caused way more damage when shot out of the savage compared to the Henry. I looked up rates of twist they were the same so I have been wondering if the rifling has been cut deeper in the savage barrel and have made the jacket weaker so the bullet blows up better on target.

gitano

US Army experiments on pigs revealed that the physiological state of the pig (just ate, well-hydrated, dehydrated, etc.) had a noticeable affect on terminal bullet performance. Maybe that has something to do with SOME of the differences you are observing.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

I would agree with the US army's research on that matter a hundred percent gophers that are full of grass die more humanely. Has anyone ever made a jacketed bullet for a long rifle?

Tags: