1997 Sandhill Hunt

Started by Alboy, January 28, 2005, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alboy

We had been doing pretty good on geese, not great but ok. It was Adrian's first season for birds. The guy we had been hunting with asked us about shooting Sandies instead of geese for a change. We had never heard of it but were game.

Just south of 290 near Hockley Texas we were sitting in brush looking at a freshly plowed field and wandering how this was supposed to work. 30 minutes after sunup we found out.

Tiny specks of birds appeared on the horizon with a trilling call that sounded as if they should be right on top of us. The guide started calling  and they turned into us. Then just kept growing and growing. We brought our guns up when we thought they were close and he told us to wait as they were way out of range. It is hard to describe how big a 4 1/2 to 5 foot tall bird is when flying, wing span is tremendous. Finally he gave the call and Adrian and I took one each. Then we had to hit them again on the ground, a tough bird to kill.

In that season you could take three a day, we limited out.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

rockinbbar

That's cool, Alboy!

Tell, me, I've heard that sandhills are good eating. Is that so? if so....how do you cook 'em?

Thanks,
Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Alboy

They taste a lot like beef.

Generally I treat them like venison roast. Weigh out the pounds to cook in 325 to 350 oven with garlic, lemon pepper, sage, apples and pears. Make sure the roasting pan is at least half full of water, that is the only difference from cooking store bought beef, as like all wild game there is very little to no fat.

The nickname of flying ribeye is more true than not. The last one I roasted was seven pounds of brest and the two legs.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

rockinbbar

Thanks!

I'll have to try that!:)

Rockin'
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

DEADBIRD

Sandhills are a great alternative during the waterfowl season.  Besides they don't call them flying ribeye for nothing.  Great hunt and pics.  What sixe shells and shot was the most effective?
ENJOYING LIFE IN GODS COUNTRY

Alboy

We used the same load we do for geese that day.

Mine was 3 1/2" chamber #2 steel 10 gauge

Adrian was 3 1/2" chamber #2 steel 12 gauge

Some folks prefer #4 buck but I stay non-toxic in case a friendly goose flys by.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

CuzTheyFly

You guy whacked em good, boy they taste great!

Tags: