Dog Names

Started by RatherBHuntin, July 13, 2008, 01:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

If things go as planned I will have a new dog soon, not a house dog, not a lap dog, but a DOG.  Born and bred to hunt, gotten to hunt, trained to hunt and actually hunted.

Now this DOG is gonna need a name, and it needs to be an appropriate one.  No Buttercup, Precious, Daisy or Petunias.  I've seen this on another site before and thought it would be interesting to see what folks have named their companions in the past or would name it if they got a new one.  I think I have mine picked out already, though it may change once I actually lay my hands on him or her.  Just one or two syllables so it's easy to holler and carries far through the woods.  This one seems right to me, and fits the bill.  Jaeger, the German word for "hunter", pronounced just like the liquor minus the meister.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

English

What kind of a dog are you getting?  Any idea to dogs in it's pedigree?  These things help determine names at times.  I'm like you though in that most of my dogs are named after I get them.  Seems that names usually come to you that seem to fit the dog.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

bowhunter 51

As a kid, ....My Dad and I raised bird dogs....hunting several dogs together
in the field on a regular basis....Always trained them as puppies to
respond to one syllable names ending with the "K" sound with reward
snack treats....Jack, Speck, Mike, Wink, Poke, and so on...You would've
had to seen them react to these names independantly in the field to
believe it,....easy to holler'-out, and worked well with hand and arm
gesture to give directions to work a field or hedge-row or call one in
closer.....you might wanna factor that in to your thinking, RBH......BH51......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

RatherBHuntin

Buck, of Jack London fame?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

That'sa good'n....................................................................................BH51...
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

I have thought about getting my oldest boy a dog, and like you said, not just a dog, one he can take in the field and hunt with. He is only 5 right now so I believe I will wait till he is old enough to take the dog when he wants. I used to hunt with a guy about 15 years ago that had a bird dog, german shorthair pointer I believe. The dogs name was Duke. I love this name and it seems to ring out in the woods. Just a suggestion. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Smokey, Baron (named before I got 'im), Zeke, Ajax, Cosmo (long before "Friends" aired), Barney, Buud (you gotta pronounce that one correctly... there's a story to it of course), Andy (kids named that one), and Tucker (kids named that one too, but I like it and it fits the dog, a Scottish Terrier).

I'm much more 'friendly' with my dogs in my later years, and so I would/will pick names that seem 'friendly' but not 'girly' or silly. No Dukes, or Conans, or Zeus' for me. Frankly, Bud is about the best name i cna think of for a dog. Unfortunately, if everybody named their dog Bud, any time more two or more dogs got together, there'd be a lot of confused dogs.

I wonder what dogs call themselves... "Tybor - Stalker of Cats" to quote Gary Larson.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

I had a dog named Smokey, kids named that one.  Milo, a fascitious name as it's for the Chihuahua.  Angel, it fits her.  My parents named a couple of our dogs as kids with formal names, like AKC uses.  We had a Boston Terrier named King Louie, just called him Louie.  Had a Great dane named Lady Belinda, just Lindi to me, she was as big as a horse and used to play with our steers as they were much closer in size than the Boston Terrier.

I'm still liking Jaeger
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Daniel in Ak

hey RBH...I've named all my dogs of places back home (Arizona) where I grew up to always remind me of back home and where I come from.

My last three labs where named  Sedona for Sedona,Az and its beauty,Ramsey for Ramsey Canyon a place in the Huachucas where I spent a good many days and lastly Catalina for the Catalina Mtns near Tucson.

Just food for thought on how I name my dogs.Daniel

mtnpenny

Personally,  I have a hard time picking out names until I see the personality.
And right now the airedales-  Bud ---yup a Big Bowlegged Budhead but man can he tear into a coyote or anything else Daryl says get em.  
And then there is Kara-  looks so sweet and innocent  ya right.   But she does have a nose on her and loves to use it.

And of course I can not leave out my Austrailian Shepard  Blaze-- ok so she is just my truck dog but the name fits as she runs like a fire ablaze.
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

Daryl (deceased)

QuoteAnd of course I can not leave out my Austrailian Shepard Blaze-- ok so she is just my truck dog but the name fits as she runs like a fire ablaze.

Yep, she does that.  It fits her personality too, as well as her red color w/stawberry red mohawk.

Like my wife, I have a hard time naming dogs until I see and spend some time with them.  My two airedales were named when I got them, and the names were kept.  We named Blaze after spending a little time with her, and her name ended up being different than what we'd chosen beforehand.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Daniel in Ak;81023hey RBH...I've named all my dogs of places back home (Arizona) where I grew up to always remind me of back home and where I come from.

My last three labs where named Sedona for Sedona,Az and its beauty,Ramsey for Ramsey Canyon a place in the Huachucas where I spent a good many days and lastly Catalina for the Catalina Mtns near Tucson.

Just food for thought on how I name my dogs.Daniel

Hey Daniel,

RBH knows this area some, so I bet he knows of those places too.

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Hunterbug

We have 2, Sage, named after my fly rod and Gypsie. When I was a kid we only had 1 dog, a beagle named Ranger.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Alboy

As I think back over the for legged friends I have known yhey were mostly mutts.

Chief was my first, he black medium size.

Lon Star "Star" she was half dashund

Aggie, and he really was stupid, never got wise.

Star. Irish setter I got for my second wife, missed him more than I did her.

Bones, he was a sheepdog looking outfit my Dad rescued from the pound

Bogie, full black lab and a 130 lbs of lap dog.

Mindy, Gigi, Soup and Stranger all arrived about the same time. First three were lab mixes out of Maggie and friend, Stranger just showed up for supper and stayed. Parvo got them all within a week. Never got another dog until I had moved from that place.

Lady was a golden Retriever that adopted me late in her life. She had been abandoned in the hill country and showed up at Jimbos.

Trixie was abandoned by the renters next door when they moved out. We kept food and water out for her and in about two weeks she was sitting in my driveway waiting for me to get home. great little mixed mutt around 8 lbs.

Been feeling like another adoption is in the works just waiting to see who turns up needing a home.

The picture is PISTOL, Dad found him and brought him home when we were teenagers. Pound for pound I have never known a dog with more heart.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

babbyc1000

heres a list of our family dogs, none are really for hunting but theres some good ones

first was major, an irish terrier, belonged to my mums cousin - used to attack everyone who went near him, but when they brought me home from hospital in the moses basket he stood guard over me and wouldnt let anyone near me

next was my first dog, a pekingese called blackadder (tv show character), he got called blackie or adder, got him when i was about 6 (my grand dad bred them)

then darkie, my uncles dog, a rottweiler crossed with something, called darkie cos he was so dark.

next would be charlie, a boxer, belonged to my uncle again.

then there was kelly, a corgi; she belonged to my ex and was there when i first moved in. was a complete drama queen (just like the ex)

then the first dog i bought myself, arnie. pedigree rottweiler, got him when he was 12 weeks old or so; called him arnie after schwarzenegger cos he was a brute (was massive compared to the other pups, even then). still have him, he's nearly 3.

after that my mum got an alsatian cross, called her Kali which is the hindu goddess of destruction, for the simple reason she destroyed the garden shed and scared all the cats away after being at the house for 24 hours!!

jess was the next dog i bought, female rottweiler. i didnt want to do wot most people do with rotties (call them something like killer, or the other end of the spectrum, petal or daisy or something) so jess it was. she had 5 pups last year.

finally, the pups; didnt name them all but my mum has one of the dogs, she named him diamond (white diamond on his chest), my uncle took the only ***** (called her ben) and thats it!!
Dont worry, I have a cunning plan...

Gunslingergirl

When I was a kid we had a black lab named Sheba.  Her AKC name was Lady Sheba of Midland.  Don't ask me why.

My Dad had a Yellow Lab he named Augustus McRae after the character in Lonesome Dove.  We called the dog Gus and it suited him perfectly.

Dad now has a female Yellow Lab named Marlie.  He inherited her and she was already named, but the name suits her.  She's a very dainty, ladylike dog.
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

Daniel in Ak

Quote from: Daryl;81770Hey Daniel,

RBH knows this area some, so I bet he knows of those places too.

;)

Daryl
You tell RBH stay outta my secret hutning spots :)  I may wanna come back and do some hutning. LOL!

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Daniel in Ak;83809You tell RBH stay outta my secret hutning spots :) I may wanna come back and do some hutning. LOL!

I'm gonna be in one of our spots this weekend, Daniel.

Remember where we stopped and shot jackrabbits in the flats way back when we camped in Red Rock with Matt?  We'll be due east of there, up in the canyons north of the ranch house that's on the main road.

I'll give you a call and let you know if we find any bears.  If nothing else, I want a re-match with a certain fox...

Daryl

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

Daryl, Good luck on that Fox, you owe him.  

Daniel, no worries about me wiping out any game populations, I don't see me getting out west again anytime soon.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

knuckledragger

I have 3 dogs: Angus, Duncan and Cowen.  We stick with Irish or Scottish names of 2 syllables, each one distinct from the other (they are also the names we had chosen for any male children, but I got all girls).  Cowen is a Beagle we got a few weeks ago (the others are 13 and 12 y/o). With each name my daughters came up with I told them to picture themselves yelling it across the neighborhood or woods; that cleared up a lot of the foolishness.  I do like the advice for 1 syllable ending in "K".   KD
Not everyone gets a trophy.

lynnwood308

My current dog, a golden retriever, is named Corbett, for James Edward Corbett.  I convinced my parents to name their new golden Rigby, for John Rigby.  My brother's black lab is named Pondo, an abreviated version of Pondoro or John "Pondoro" Taylor.  I had another friend that named his female Springer Norma.  You get the idea.  There are plenty of good gun and hunter names out there.  Parker is a good one, ****, even Purdy of Purdy shotguns, Winchester, Bell (William "Karamojo" Bell), Holland, Westley (Westley Richards shotguns), Griffin (Griffin and Howe), how about Dakota?

rockinbbar

Dakota works for me...;)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

kombi1976

Quote from: lynnwood308;85528My current dog, a golden retriever, is named Corbett, for James Edward Corbett.  I convinced my parents to name their new golden Rigby, for John Rigby.  My brother's black lab is named Pondo, an abreviated version of Pondoro or John "Pondoro" Taylor.  I had another friend that named his female Springer Norma.  You get the idea.  There are plenty of good gun and hunter names out there.  Parker is a good one, ****, even Purdy of Purdy shotguns, Winchester, Bell (William "Karamojo" Bell), Holland, Westley (Westley Richards shotguns), Griffin (Griffin and Howe), how about Dakota?
Dog names?! :huh:
My 2nd son is called Rigby (as in John Rigby & Sons)! :D
Our youngest is even called Remy.....although that wasn't meant to be short for Remington.
You guys need to be more ambitious - dogs indeed! :rolleyes:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Paul Hoskins

I never thought much about dog names but always liked a name that was easy to holler real loud like "Bo" or "Buck." As a youngster down in the mountains I had a half breed grey fox/dog mix named Trixie. It was very difficcult to yell loudly. Nice little dog but ran with foxes at night. Wild and timid.  ........Paul H

gitano

Gee Paul, I thought dog was staple of a hillbilly's diet. ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

It was Paul, along with several guns. We would have starved for meat if it wasn't for those two things. Most everyone had several dogs and guns. Most dogs we ever had at one time was about eighteen counting pups. ......Paul H

Tags: